vent sexing turkey poults. HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by gobblecluck, Jul 1, 2010.

1. gobblecluck

gobblecluck Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    talladega, alabama
    i know in a prior post steve of s and s mentions that he can vent sex turkeys. could you do us all a favor and tell us in depth how to do it. and some up close pics of you doing it would be awesome. i know you are looking for a shiny bump in a male and no bump in a female. i have tried looking it up on the internet and everyone is very vague about it, like it is some kind of ancient secret that only the japanese know and will not divulge to anyone. heck you cant even find a drawn picture of what you are looking for. no one even mentions if the bump is on the head side of the vent or the tail side. a little clarification would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Ancient Japanese secret? Maybe that's why everyone sells straight run and the growers wait until they're eight weeks old to figure out what sex they are. I have a bunch of seven week olds right now, and I can tell most of them, but I have a couple that are still unclear. Part of that is wishful thinking, I think. I have three bourbon reds and three royal palms, and I need one of them to be a hen for my breeding plans. I know all the palms and two of the red are toms, and I think the last red is a tom too. If they are all toms, I think I'll have to breed narragansetts this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by