Vent-sexing?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by adrian, Jun 22, 2010.

1. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I know there are quite a lot of threads on this, but they are all old so I can't really ask my questions there.

The pictures that I saw on one thread both looked a little different from what I see when I try to vent sex my three day-old gosling.

S/he doesn't have an obvious penis pop out of the middle, like it should in a male. At first I saw a bit of a point and wondered what it was, but then I realized what was sticking out above all else was the bottom "lip", closest to the tail, that is, whereas everything else looked quite unremarkable. When it everted, the middle, between the lips of the cloaca, simply looked rounded, and the bottom lip stuck out a bit.

My question is, does this sound like a female? Do young males have a very obvious penis at this age, or is that only to be expected later? From what I can tell, the gosling appears to be a female, but I can't sex my other gosling as s/he is a lot larger and kicks up a storm when I hold her upside down, so I can't really get a comparison.

Sorry for the odd description, I simply can't get a picture. Requires too many hands for me.

2. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    That's probably a pretty poor description.
    After trying a multitude of times, I believe that the gosling is indeed female, as it looks almost identical to the female in this picture:

[​IMG]

So, if anyone has any feed-back about my description, then thank you, but I think I've got it figured out. [​IMG] For now.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by