1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Vent sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eenie114, Jul 1, 2010.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

could someone give me step by step instructions on how to vent sex my chicks? They are 3 weeks old, and I'm beginning to suspect one is a BOY!!! [​IMG] sigh. I'd like to know for sure though, so I can start preparing the little sibs for the fact that I will be selling him, if its a him. [​IMG] All I have ever heard about it is that you "squeeze 'em until the 'green stuff' comes out, look at it, and you can tell if its a boy or girl." I am guessing I'll need more info than that. [​IMG] Is there anyone who can tell me? Thanks!

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Its way to old to vent sex.

3. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Quote:Ditto!! That has to be done right after they hatch!!

Missi

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    yep, has to be done right when hatched. WAY to late!!!

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Vent sexing requires extensive training and years of practice. It's not something you can just pick up without formal training. You could consider a trip to Japan to enroll!

6. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:It is my understanding that it needs to be done as soon after the hatch as possible, secondly it takes a lot of experience to be able to vent sex. It is nearly always something that is passed from generation to generation.

Of the thousands of folks that hang out on this site, I have never known anyone to post and indicate that they could do it with any degree of accuracy. If they exist it would be interesting to hear from them. I did have the opportunity to spend some time in a hatachry some years ago and I was amazed at how quickly the sexers could vent sex chicks with 90% accuracy.

I think geese are much easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by