1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent Sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MonkeyZero, Jun 7, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

Well, If these eggs under my broody ever will hatch [​IMG] (I CANT WAIT!!!)[​IMG] [​IMG] Then I may need help sexing them. If I have any roos, I can sale them to my neighbors. Maybe $2 each roo? So I wanted to know how to vent sex. Is it hard? Any pain to the chicks? help

2. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    anyone? i wonder if It will be hard to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    From the little I know of vent sexing, it takes a lot of experience. If it were me, I wouldn't rely on my ability to figure out the sex that way. I am a chicken newbie though so maybe someone else will be able to help.

4. bmarshgu

bmarshgu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I am a newbie too, but I have read a lot about sexing the chicks. Vent sexing is very hard to do. Essentially, you squeeze the chicks crap out and take a gander inside. If there is a bump, it is a boy, and if not, a girl. It is not recommended for someone who does not know what they are doing. You can easily squeeze the chick to death or break some bones. I would wait until they got older and check for the tell-tale signs!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I read vent sexing takes a trained eye since there are 15 variations of "bump or no bump"
    [​IMG]
    Krista

6. dada_jeep

dada_jeep New Egg

Jun 1, 2008
    Aurora, CO
    isn't there also a way to tell by wing feather length as hatchlings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by