1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. JaimeRoxMySox

JaimeRoxMySox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    What would you guys recommend for vent size? My coop is 4'L x 3 1/2'W x 5' H and I plan on placing 2 vents on opposite sides on the coop. I'm in new england with long harsh snowy cold winters. I had 2 vents last winter that were only 2 inches by 4 inches and that wasn't enough to keep it from getting wet during the nights when it got cold. I'll have about 12 bantam chickens this winter so what would you recommend? I want them warm and dry this winter! Thank you for your suggestions :)

2. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    what does your coop look like

3. JaimeRoxMySox

Feb 6, 2013
    A square with pitched roof. I should get pictures tomorrow. It'd probably help!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  4. summerb123

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    yeah i'm not good with picturing things in my head

5. JaimeRoxMySox

Feb 6, 2013
    Okay so this isnt the sexiest coop in the world. I've never built anything in my life and I was using pallets I had to take apart. I'm working on the roof right now. I'd like the 2 triangles above the doors, the 1 in the front and the one in the back to be where I place the vents. The triangles are 1 foot high. I'm not sure if I should leave them completely open as is with a screen or close it to a smaller size. I don't want all the heat escaping but I don't want any condensation either. I'll be insulting the inside of the coop with bubble wrap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. summerb123

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    you could put a screen in and make it like a door so on rainy or cold days you can close it and on nice days you can leave it open its the best of both worlds [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] good job by the way

7. Bobby Basham

Bobby Basham Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Tucson, Arizona
    I am not a builder and know that this is a work in progress, but that long center beam needs to have support underneath at each end, otherwise, it wouldn't take much weight for the roof to collapse. I like the pallet idea, though, very resourceful. --BB

Bobby Basham
    Tucson, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by