Vent tear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmbrown05, Mar 3, 2015.

1. hmbrown05

hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    I have a roughly 7 month-old bantam conchin x EE that has recently come into lay. Every egg that she has laid, approximatley 5 eggs over 3 weeks, have had some blood on them. I haven't really thought that much about it because she is young and had otherwise been doing well. Today I noticed she was not around the rest of the flock and found her fluffed up in the pasture. She is not tame and did not want to be caught so I had to wait until they went to roost to catch and evaluate her-which I figured was a good sign. It appears that she has an infection in/on her vent. I could not palpate an egg and she passed some stool while I was examning her, but her vent is very swollen and has a foul odor so I am guessing that she tore passing eggs which subsequently got infected. Her comb is still nice and red and up until today she had appeared normal.

I am willing to treat, but am curious if it is even worth it, or is she just going to have this happen again or get egg bound. I was not worried about keeping her for major egg production, but more as a potential brooder as her mother was a very good mother and the cross between her and the conchin seemed likely to make her more likely to brood.

Any experience/advise is much appreciated!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Here is an article on vent prolapse http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html and how to treat it. Have you ruled out vent gleet? It's basically a yeast infection and is treatable. Keep her somewhere dark so she doesn't lay during treatment. [​IMG]

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    My EE was swollen in the vent also when she started laying (huge eggs), and she had diarrhea. As it happened she had an impacted crop. However, the first thing I did was give her a bath in warm water and epsom salts, blew dry her and put preparation H on her vent. next morning it looked fine, no issue since. However, she quit laying eggs for awhile while recovering from the impacted crop and just started laying yesterday, nothing today. soooooo I guess i'm not sure. But my girls are my pets and I would try the bath at least. maybe give some antibiotics. are you sure she doesn't have vent gleet?

4. hmbrown05

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Well went to go get her yesterday evening to try and treat her and she hadn't come to roost [​IMG] looked with a spot light for over an hour (in the awful weather...) and again this morning with no luck. I guess she was worse off than I thought. On a good note though I found her clutch mate and half sister setting broody this afternoon (discovered her missing last night too).

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    awww! Sorry [​IMG] But as you said, on the bright side, you may get new chickies!

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Very sorry for the loss of your girl. [​IMG] I wonder where she went?

7. hmbrown05

Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    My guess would be an opportunistic hawk. There was no evidence of other predators around and I have been seeing quite a few flying around here lately though the rooster keeps a close eye and gets his hens to cover anytime they have been remotely close, but if she had wandered away to keep from being disturbed she would have been fair game [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by