Vent.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheOLDNewChick, Mar 21, 2009.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I'm SO done with ordering eggs from people. And let me go ahead and say; I'm not blaming the shipper. I'm not necessarily blaming the mail carriers. I'm just so frustrated. My last three or four hatches have been awful. Temps & humidity have been perfect. I've turned every eight hours. I just don't get it. The last hatch, I got two. This hatch, I got three out of two dozen eggs. Two died during hatch. I'm just really frustrated spending all the money for the eggs & shipping and then have a poor hatch. [​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    That's why I don't order eggs anymore. I've heard that they get X-rayed when they go through the airports and that may kill their viability. Also, the jostling they go through, being handled and such, damages the airsac. It amazes me, though, that so many folks get good hatches from shipped eggs. [​IMG]

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I feel your frustration! I have only incubated 1 time using shipped eggs. That was this last hatch which was also only my second hatch. The first hatch was 100%. These eggs only had to travel from my coop to my house!

I had two sets shipped to me. Out of 20 eggs I hatched 2! It was not the shippers fault. They were all packed perfectly and arrived in tact. I don't even think it was the PO. I blamed it on the weather. It was still very cold here. Maybe they froze somewhere in transit?

I was hoping to try some more shipped eggs now that the weather is warming up. Maybe it isn't a good idea? Don't people hatch shipped eggs all the time? Whats their secret I wonder?

4. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope they don't xray the ones I have comming!

5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    The other hatches I've had from shipped eggs have been 95-100%, so, I don't know what the deal is. It's just devastating...and frustrating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by