Ventalation is this enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Nov 8, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    The coop is roughly 5'x5' for 5 silkies. Nest boxes exterior so all that space is free. I have large overhangs on my roof. with about 6 inch of vent around the entire coop under the over hang so no rain can get in. is that enough or to much?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sounds like lots up top, you maight even be able to cut it down a good bit to save some heat. Having venting high and low though will help with amonia settling near floor level where the chickens are.

3. abhaya

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:I can close some up noooo problem how do I get low venting without getting drafty?

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I believe the pop door being open will be enough.

5. abhaya

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:This is gonna sound really stupid what is a poop door?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is probably enough in the winter, possibly "just right" in fact [​IMG] (If it starts seeming too drafty, or the silkies are acting cold, or snow blows in, you can close off the vents on the upwind side(s) and just leave the others open, and that should be ok too)

You will have trouble in the summer though. And just opening windows won't necessarily be enough either. I would suggest planning some larger openable-to-mesh area that you can use in hot weather.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    If the amonia is strong smelling to you at nose level it is likely a problem for chickens 1 foot off the floor, and you will need to add more venting. It is nice to have some control over the vents too, in the summer open them right up, when it is cold close them down as much as possible without humidity/smell problems. Might be able to put some sort of flaps or slides to cover up some of the open space in overhangs?

The pop doors help if they are open but for many depending on weather and such they can end up closed for periods. I am reworking a couple things on one coup and am adding a vent at floor level to help out getting some cross flow floor to ceiling. To keep the floor vent from making a draft I am bringing it into the area where I keep feed so not righ near the pens. That opening is going to need a little extra preditor proofing too!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:This is gonna sound really stupid what is a poop door?

The pop door is the little door chickens use to access the coop. [​IMG]

9. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    You don't want any door open all night for any kind of chicken. Good luck with you silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by