VENTIALTION OR WARMTH?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suburbansilkies, Apr 16, 2016.

1. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    It really is a small thing but should I leave the small vent where the chickens sleep in the night open or closed. It gets really cold here in England in the night and frizzles and silkies aren't very hardy plus it's the only area that lets light in in the morning or should I close it ensuring warmth but there is no light or ventilation at least whilst they are in there during the night?[​IMG]

2. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can have the ventilation just under the ceiling, so the birds don't get a draft. Your frizzle is beautiful. Silkies generally lay in a pile with their buddies, on the coop floor. They don't fly. I've never had a frizzle but, with their clean faces, they should be able to see where the roosts are and get up there.

Just make sure any ventilation openings are backed by wire mesh to prevent predators from getting in.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

Oh, and you may wish to join the UK members thread "UK members, please say Hi"

All the best
    CT

6. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Proper ventilation is important because of poop/urate. You don't want toxic ammonia build (or respiratory infections etc). I have ventilation up high and ventilation down low in the coop. I have 2 crank up/down windows on the coop so in cooler weather I will turn the windows down some so the wind is off them, but it still allows proper ventilation, in the warmer months they're open more to allow heat to flow out.

The moisture is a bigger problem than the cold. I took water out of the coop at night during winter to reduce moisture and then I just ended up leaving the waterers outside of the coop day and night and they've been fine. Now that the weather is warming up though I need to move one into the coop just in case.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by