Ventilation, confused?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by festivefeet, May 16, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey there.

I am not really understanding the whole ventilation thing. We have a window that opens and another door that opens to allow air circulation to make it cooler in the summer. However, not really understanding, ventilation without a draft. Was I supposed to do something else?

Here's my coop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.
    Jessica

2. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I think of it like this:
    - Ventilation - high air movement.
    - Drafts- low air movement.

With the small door open and the top sash of the window open,
    you would have good ventilation.

Your coop looks well-built.

spot

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i think your coop looks great i wouldt worry about that too hard just remember to keep it clean

4. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    Very nice design!

5. jjamerb

jjamerb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Elkland, MO
    Ventilation lets fresh air into the coop. Recycling old dusty air out. Draft is air blowing in joining dirty air. Dirty air has no where to go but just circle around.

Think of it like draining your bathtub and putting in fresh water. Clean air in, dirty air out.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice setup although chickenwire is not especially secure vs predators.

Basically, ignoring the terms ventilation or draft, what you want is lots of airflow without cold breeze/wind on the chickens in cold weather.

I'd say you have marginally just-about-maybe-enough ventilation for 6 chickens; if you are ever doing any modifications on the coop *anyway* it would make your life easier (and your chickens' life more pleasant) to add some more ventilation, but you may be able to get away with what you've got.

Unless your roof panels are translucent the chickens might really benefit from a window of some sort, though (I mean, one with a transparent or translucent pane when closed) and if you did that, it could be made openable for airflow as well.

I am not sure where you live but if you get Actual Winter you may find yourself wanting to reverse the flap on that vent so that it hinges from the *top*, so you can have it open at least partway during the winter without funneling all sorts of rain and snow into the coop. (If you live somewhere with cold winters you also may discover that you have problems with your roof producing lots of condensation/humidity unless you insulate the underside of it).

Good lcuk, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by