Ventilation critique?

JaceAgain

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Coastal NC
Hey Im in Coastal NC and working on my coop, can someone critique the ventilation?

Also, if you used a metal roof, how does the rain not go in the top? Our rain goes sideways pretty often around here.

Last edited:
I have a metal roof, but it's framed out with 1x4's which drop over the sides so that the roof frame and the walls overlap by about 3", as the roof is raised over the walls about 1" to provide ventilation. While not impervious to rain, it'd have to be driving from the side pretty hard in order to hit the wall and go up to get inside.

Take a look at this write up when you get a chance: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I know what you mean about the sideways rain. I opted to locate the bulk of my coop's ventilation under the soffit and roof vent. I made sure the roof angle was steep enough and the overhang long enough to keep all but hurricane rain out of the soffit vents. I also have shuttered windows to block the blowing rain. Trying to keep the coop as dry as possible, while maintaining airflow, is sort of a challenge.

Duh me I forgot the picture!!

I have a metal roof, but it's framed out with 1x4's which drop over the sides so that the roof frame and the walls overlap by about 3", as the roof is raised over the walls about 1" to provide ventilation.  While not impervious to rain, it'd have to be driving from the side pretty hard in order to hit the wall and go up to get inside. 

I don't quite know what this means. Like you have a 1x4 wood frame around the entire coop top, like a lid?

Take a look at this write up when you get a chance: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I know what you mean about the sideways rain.  I opted to locate the bulk of my coop's ventilation under the soffit and roof vent. I made sure the roof angle was steep enough and the overhang long enough to keep all but hurricane rain out of the soffit vents.   I also have shuttered windows to block the blowing rain.  Trying to keep the coop as dry as possible, while maintaining airflow, is sort of a challenge.

Thank you that was a great read!

I don't quite know what this means. Like you have a 1x4 wood frame around the entire coop top, like a lid?

Sorry, it is hard for me to explain. Yes, it's like a lid. There's a gap between the top of the walls and the roof to allow air flow on all sides. It's also set up on a hinge so I can lift the roof to access the inside. I've stopped being lazy and attached a picture.

Back
Top Bottom