Ventilation for small coop

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
We have a small, pre-fab coop. There is only one louvered vent, but it is right at roost level, so will be useless in the winter. I have drilled... oh, probably 100, 10mm holes, in a couple of rows along the top of the tallest wall, and the top of the door headers (on either side of the coop) to help with air flow. I marked the areas with yellow lines in the photo.

This is the coop, with 10x10 attached run (now covered). The vent is on the north side, where the yellow arrow is. This side recieves wind block from a very large shed. The west side of the run will have a clear tarp in the winter. We are in SE Michigan.

The bedding is pine shavings, sprinkled with DPZ. I can't do the deep method, due to space limitations. I employ poop boards, coated with DPZ, that I scrape off, daily.

What do you think of this roof vent (link below)? It's only 12V, and I'm thinking that, since my drilled holes are at the top of the walls, it should
received_1252727735148926.jpeg
n't produce a draft for the chickens. I have a wireless, Thermometer/Hygrometer in the coop with the display unit in my house, so I can monitor the coop at an easy glance.
https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Cool...ed11a&pd_rd_wg=Gfxfr&pd_rd_i=B0899KTK16&psc=1

Last edited:
Mate, we bought one too.
Zach
Confession: I bought the small coop, first. The misleading ad said it would hold up to 6 chickens. After assembling it, and seeing it's ridiculous size, I set it aside as a convalescent coop. I searched on YouTube for larger, pre-fab coops, and saw a couple videos on the 2nd coop I ultimately purchased, with the connected run. (The ad said up to 12 chickens - but, I knew better, this time).
My husband has been working away from home, all summer. I have had him home just long enough to assemble what I came up with. I am not handy with carpentry. I didn't feel I could build my own coop. I am doing the best I can, modifying this pre-fab coop to make my chickens comfortable and safe. I will admit that it has taken a LOT of modification and was a poor value for the money. This is my maiden voyage with chickens. I'm sure I'll make many mistakes along the way. That I am here, proves that I'm doing my best, trying to learn. I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it as criticism, just a joke. From what I've read on here, at least 20% of us bought one of these for our first coop. I'm too embarassed to tell what I paid for mine, but people on this forum have built serious, real coops for less money.
Left to my own devices, I could never have done the mods you made to make yours livable. I'm just lucky my husband has the skills, tools, time and part-time work at a hardware store (great staff discounts, and even free stuff sometimes), that meant he could build me a real one.
And what you've done to make your run comfortable and engaging for your chickens is just wow. Serious respect.:bow
Oh, it's ok! And thank you.. ♡ My DH has the talent, but hasn't had the time. I'm definitely not done making modifications. Next time DH is home, he'll have to help me. Need to get this wrapped up before winter

Thank you all so much for your advice. You know... when I bought my chicks, I wanted 4. The gal talked me into 6, because she said it's common to lose some or end up with roosters. I figured she knew her business. I'm new, but 4 did sound right to me. And she wasn't wrong. At least 1 is male.
In the photo, you can see a mini-coop. Right now, I'm just using the nesting boxes to store supplies in. I will use it for those times when I have a hen that needs to be separated, due to injury or other issues.

Yes, 4 is a good number for a starter flock, and yes, it's common to lose one or have an "oops rooster" -- because sexing is about 90% accurate.

My Ideal order of 12 pullets this spring had 2 males.

If you don't get too attached it's fairly easy to sell started pullets (not cockerels though).

Confession: I bought the small coop, first. The misleading ad said it would hold up to 6 chickens. After assembling it, and seeing it's ridiculous size, I set it aside as a convalescent coop. I searched on YouTube for larger, pre-fab coops, and saw a couple videos on the 2nd coop I ultimately purchased, with the connected run. (The ad said up to 12 chickens - but, I knew better, this time).
My husband has been working away from home, all summer. I have had him home just long enough to assemble what I came up with. I am not handy with carpentry. I didn't feel I could build my own coop. I am doing the best I can, modifying this pre-fab coop to make my chickens comfortable and safe. I will admit that it has taken a LOT of modification and was a poor value for the money. This is my maiden voyage with chickens. I'm sure I'll make many mistakes along the way. That I am here, proves that I'm doing my best, trying to learn. I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism
You are definitely not the only one who has ever bought a shoebox coop when starting out. The claims from the manufacturer on those things are ridiculous.

I'm glad that you came here looking for advice! Many people refuse to believe they are too small.

I guess that if I'm going to stick my neck out with questions, I can expect some criticism

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it as criticism, just a joke. From what I've read on here, at least 20% of us bought one of these for our first coop. I'm too embarassed to tell what I paid for mine, but people on this forum have built serious, real coops for less money.
Left to my own devices, I could never have done the mods you made to make yours livable. I'm just lucky my husband has the skills, tools, time and part-time work at a hardware store (great staff discounts, and even free stuff sometimes), that meant he could build me a real one.
And what you've done to make your run comfortable and engaging for your chickens is just wow. Serious respect.:bow

I am doing the best I can,
:hugsI have this to say,,,,,,,:hugs
We all have to start somewhere, I have suggested the prefab coops to peeps that are not sure if they want to keep chickens in the first try. I know they are over-rated for number of chickens claimed. They will not last very long. Not very predator proof. But the main reason I do suggest them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they need somewhere to start, and see if chickens are for them.
In short time, the peeps know to upgrade to something more suitable to their needs.,,,,,,,,,,,,OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,, give chickens up.:old:idunno
The low monetary investment is part of that lesson. Small coop still has other uses inside run along/next to the newer/more IDEAL CHICKEN HOUSING.
There are many posts with great ideas on great coops. I :bow applaud them, but I am also a realist. Not everyone is in position to have such chicken housing,,,,, especially in the beginning venture.
Keep up the good work..:highfive:

The vent you linked will work, but I have a different suggestion. install 2 or 3 of the static vents on top of coop roof. Preferably at the high front end. This way you vent with no power needed. The vents when installed properly will keep rain out.
1630565811156.png
1630565830858.png

and you can enlarge the openings where you drilled the holes, and install these type of louvers over them . will keep rain out.
The drilled holes are equal to a couple farts in a hurricane worth. Ventilation needs to be easy air flow.
1630566011709.png

Nice secure type run BTW :thumbsup I do like it:old

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I also suggest a "predator apron." This is 18-24" of sturdy fence material -- a lot of people use hardware cloth -- lying on the ground around the perimeter of the run. This keeps digging predators, like raccoons, out. They try to dig, can't get through the HC, and give up. If you use something solid, like pavers, they just back up to the outside edge of the hard surface and start digging there.
Thank you, Sally! I did, actually do the apron - after this photo was taken.

Can you open up a vent across the entire top of the tallest wall -- where you have the yellow lines in the photo? Also, triangles at the top of each side. You need to be thinking square feet, not square inches. :)

I used metal siding to make awnings for my outdoor brooder:

0519211937_hdr-jpg.2684668
Thank you! ♡ Yes, I believe that's what I'll do - open the area up and use the louvered vents that Rich suggested, in all the places you suggest. I also dded awnings, similar to yours, over my doors (after the above photo was added). Mine were rubber/nylon, though. Had to do a lot of weather-proofing on this coop.

Back
Top Bottom