1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation for Small Wooden Box Mobile Coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my sunwolf, Dec 8, 2012.

1. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been having some ventilation trouble with my coop, but can't seem to come up with a good design for where to cut holes and nail hardware cloth.

Does anyone have experience with ventilating wooden box type pasture coops that hold 4-8 birds?

I've seen Salatin's metal mobile coops and couldn't figure out the ventilation on those.

If you have any great ventilation designs, post some pictures!!

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are some pictures of my coop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At night they're totally enclosed in the wooden box portion. Where should I create holes for ventilation?

This is (generally, I've made some modifications) the layout of where the roosts are:

[​IMG]

Er, and yes, they are roosting and the nest boxes, this was our first coop... [​IMG]

Thanks for all and any help you can give!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could replace the door with the egg painted on it with a frame covered with hardware cloth. A mesh screen over the pop door would allow makeup air for the ventilation.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by