Ventilation for winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jstlitlome, Jul 31, 2013.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    I've been thinking about my coop for the winter. This summer, I've just been keeping the windows open, and there is plenty of ventilation in the coop. But the windows are the height so the girls can see out while they roost. This wont work for winter, will it?

The windows face south and most of the wind in the winter will come from the northeast.

Any recommendations on where to put vents? Its not a very tall coop. The only places I can see to put them are on the sides at the top corner. Will that be enough?

(these pics were taken before the run was completed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have a salvaged metal shed. That does the trick for me. I lately added a screened inner door (ΒΌ hardware cloth) on the left hand side (not shown in this photo)..
    I will be leaving the inner door open most days.
    However my coop faces north so I will close the outer door when weather warrants it.

[​IMG]

3. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    For winter I would move the roost bar to the back wall, opposite the vent/windows. As you probably already know, you need plenty of ventilation in the winter/cold months. I don't know how many birds you have in there, depending on that number, you may need to cut some more holes in the coop, or you may be good to go. That's a nice, clean looking coop you have there.
    Jack

1 person likes this.
  4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm actually surprised that it isn't too hot/humid in there. There doesn't seem to be any circulation other than air coming in the pop door and going out the windows during the day? Take a lighter out on a windy day, climb in, and see how much air movement there is. If the air is still, just leave those windows open in winter. I'd add flaps on the short side with hardware cloth over the holes for more ventilation in the summer. Make them so the flaps can prop open and shield the hole from rain since there isn't any overhang on that side.

1 person likes this.
  5. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Those are really helpful replies, thank you! I think we will add one vent on the short side (side with the door, not the nest boxes) with a flap, and maybe a small one on the back. Great idea. I can also just leave one window open, or each just a little.

The coop looks clean because I took those pics just after it was done and right before the chickies moved in! They have been there since may.

I have switched to sand with sweet PDZ though, and clean it every day, so it should stay pretty ammonia free, at least comparitively.

Thanks all!

Leslie

6. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Also, on really hot days the girls spend their time in the coop, not outside in the shade, which tells me its pretty comfortable in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by