1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation? Hardware Cloth or vented aluminum soffet *pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by patman75, Oct 20, 2009.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

My winter coop is coming along and I'm getting near the ventilation stage.

I have extra vented aluminum soffet from when we built the garage. I'm not sure if that will provided enough ventilation. I was thinking maybe just justing hardward cloth for more air flow.

Here are the details

8X8 coop with 100+ sq foot run.
    6 birds for this winter (built it big for meaties in the spring when the hens use the tractor and if I get more hens next year. (trying to think ahead)
    coop is on north west side of garage to block wind.
    Upper left overhand is 10 inches
    lower right overhang is 24 inches.
    I live in zone 5b, It will get to 0 a few times in the winter.
    Lot of wind but garage will block most.
    leaning toward insulating.

Here are the pics

[​IMG]

This side has the 10 inch X 8 foot overhang
    [​IMG]

This side has the 24 inch X 8 foot overhang
    [​IMG]

This is the vented aluminum soffet that I was thinking of using.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I suspect that unless you have very few chickens in there, the soffit material would (as you say) be too little ventilation much of the time. BUT, that is not to say it wouldn't be of use:

You'd get the best of both worlds if you install hardwarecloth, then put a thin wooden frame around the soffit section so it can be bolted/unbolted on the outside of the hardwarecloth. (Or hinge it so it drops down when not in use).

This gives you three "settings": full ventilation (just hardwarecloth), slight ventilation with no strong air movement (soffit in place), and totally-stopped-up-in-horrible-blizzard (soffit in place, with some old rag or feedbag placed between it and the hardwarecloth before you closed it up).

Just a thought,

Pat

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have that soffit set up on my house, I did have a coon climb up my brick (somehow) and rip that stuff out to get into the eaves to have young.
    I like Pat's idea.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Fastened securely with extra fasteners it certainly could provide predator protection. Six birds for winter? When you get more meat birds the air flow will be an issue. If a lot you'd need a little more air flow, especially if you're in a moist region of Michigan, but as pat says, modifications are possible.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I left mine open rather than close it in with soffet material. Used hardware cloth cut to the required opening width...then shaped quickly and accurately with a 2 x 4.

[​IMG]

Then I have the cut to size 2x4 to seal the opening up the few times a year I might want to do so.

[​IMG]

My gable ends are open at the top. The draft that flows in the wall openings and out the gable ends is the difference between too hot in summer and excellent winter moisture control. I tried the other way on another small barn structure not for poultry. There was not enough air flow.

You can always do it the fancy way after a season if you want. That is my approach. I'd rather add when necessary than have too much and have to take it apart and modify.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Depends on your needs. Soffit vent will look really nice, but not provide as much ventilation as the welded wire. Both will provide good varmit protection.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'd do what Pat recommends. Seems to make the most sense to me.

I might even be persuaded to close up the soffets all together and put in a longish vent under that nice deep soffet overhang with several different "doors" that would be easily open-able/closeable in sections. Particularly if you plan on putting a larger number of chickens inside. I don't think you can ever have TOO MUCH ventilation as long as you can close it up when necessary.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by