ventilation holes and fan?

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
I am completely new to this incubating thing. Read so many different sources b/c I am so "picky", LOL. About to finish my homemade incubator. Two questions remain:
1. How many holes do I have to make for proper/adequate ventilation? What size?
2. Do I face the fan blowing air over/toward the eggs or backward against the wall (I hang the computer fan over the hardcloth wire 2 inches from the wall). I ask this question b/c there is someone mentioned there is some issues of over drying the eggs if too much air moving over the eggs. This makes sense since I cant picture mother hens would be blowing over her eggs, LOL. I really appreciate any comments.

Not sure I can be of much help but I would have the fan moving air out of the incubator with outside air being drawn in through your ventilation holes.Try to have the air exchange away from ware your eggs are located in the incubator. Good luck
smile.png

I have almost the same question. Do I need to have the holes open? My bator has 3 holes, 2 on top, one on side. I just got my temp and humidity where I want it, but no holes are open. Eggs are due in tomorrow, so should i open any holes and readjust?

Eggs need ventilation because that is how they get the oxygen they need. Open atleast two of those holes. You still have time to get the humidity balanced before putting the eggs in.

Place the fan so it blows across your heat source.

My incubator is made out of a hard plastic coleman cooler. I have two pieces of pipe close to the top so I can close or open to help regulate the humidity. I have small holes on the bottom that I just used a small drill bit to make so air can go through all the time. My fan is mounted on the left side next to the light which blows the air toward the eggs to circulate the heat. My thermostate, light, and fan are on the same side. I also have a tube on the right side that I can use to add water if needed without opening the incubator. Hope that helps.

Quote:
could you post a picture please so I can get a better idea of this. I got the concept but you knjow the saying a picture is worth a thousand words

thanks

I initially mounted the fan blowing backward into the wall where the light and thermostat are located. This gives me a pretty constant tempt. But since I turn the fan around blowing toward the eggs, temp has been varries about 3 degrees. I guess constant temperature is more important so I will turn the fan back to the original direction. Thanks for all the inputs. Also will put a few more vent holes in. currently have only two 0.3 inch holes, dont think that is enough

And I have read that you don't want the air blowing across the eggs, even warmed air. It will promote dehydration of the embryos.

I added a computer fan to my Little Giant. I have the fan blowing up away from the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom