Ventilation ideas? Roof turbine, duct fans, bathroom fans, box fans or?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PiTownPeep, Jun 1, 2014.

1. PiTownPeep

PiTownPeep In the Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Pioneertown, California
    I am considering all options to help ventilate and cool down my new coop, as we have triple digit summers. I've been monitoring the temperature inside with the 3x3 window open and it's in the low 90's. Same as outside. Has anyone ever installed a bathroom style (pardon this) fart fan? Would that exhaust enough hot air out of the coop? Clog up too easily with all the dust?

I have a 7' deep x 14' wide x 10' ceiling height to cool. I was considering rigid foam insulation to make a drop ceiling at 8 feet, then making a frame in it to hold some sort of fan that I can exhaust out the back wall using ducting.

I can leave the window slid open in front, and the people door open as well since there's wire mesh. I can't leave it open at night as the mesh is the 2x4 and really only to keep chickens out of the feed/storage spot but I know the foxes and raccoons can get their little mitts in there.

Am also thinking of just a wind powered turbine mounted on the roof.

The coop has south protection of sorts as the roof slopes down and overhangs the coop by six feet so the sun doesn't hit the south wall directly.

Am holding off on my new flock chick order until I can give them a reasonably great place to live! Am planning on 8 - 10 at the most in there.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I run a box fan al summer in mine, and it is essentially a 3 sided coop, the fourth being mafe of hardware cloth, with 6' or more open air all the way around, at the top of the walls. The open air areas are situated so that it's a bit of a wind tunnel in there. My birds actually go in the coop for the breeze and shade in the heat of the day, in favot of some tall, shady bushes in their yard. Your birds will need good breeze to survive; there is no such thing as a draft in summer heat. Perhaps you can come up with something to shade them more. the crop ceiling and insulation might work. a mister to keep the ground around the coop cooler might help too. Can you plant something fast growing that will help shade the coop?

Really, in that climate, an open sided structure might have worked out better:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

3. PiTownPeep

May 27, 2014
    Pioneertown, California
    I would like to have a 3 sided shelter but I am renting and can't build anything substantial on the property -- so I am making do with what I have :( The brooder box will be in the house until they are 6 weeks old. By the time they need to be outside it will be pretty hot. We always have wind, even in summer (we are by the wind farms) so with a turbine on top and the insulation and door/window open I am hoping the temp will drop at least 10 degrees in there. If I do a mister, would it just be around the perimeter of the outside of the coop?

Not much but cactus and yucca grow up here!

4. momabuck

momabuck In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Carver, MA
    I am curious of this too. I am thinking of putting a screen door on the human door of the coop and setting a fan up that way. we are also going to install vents in the "attic" of the coop. I would eventually like to install a solar fan on the top but those are not inexpensive and Hubby just built the coop so Chicken budget is low.. LOL.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Turbine vents are nice if there is a breeze to turn them. With no breeze they don't offer much. I would leave the people door open full time or have a screen door closed. Long cut openings with hinged flaps up high on the coop work well to move warm air out of the coop. A lot of openings and shade is ideal for the chickens to stay cool.

[​IMG]

Hinged flap.... often closed during storms. The other side of the coop is mostly open and the run roof keeps out the rain.
    [​IMG]

6. PiTownPeep

May 27, 2014
    Pioneertown, California
    I am going to make a evaporative cooler which can run all day in the coop. Since I am using sand as bedding there's less chance the moisture will accumulate. I really doubt there's going to be any moisture lingering since the humidity is about 10% up here. Will post my creation and results - how much drop in temperature - once I've finished it. Right now the inside coop temp is 110, I can't put anything g in there until the place can be in the 85 range at highest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: