Ventilation in a Tikes playhouse coop

kgend912

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Plainfield
I picked up a little tikes playhouse coop from craiglist (cheap). I have everything figured out I think, except for these gaps at the corners where the walls meet and join. There is a 2-3" gap where the pieces hook together. I can cover them with hardware cloth, but I wonder if that will be too drafty in the winter (central indiana.) I have hardware cloth over the windows now, and will be adding it to where the roof meets the walls (there is 1-2" gap all around, so I do have ceiling ventilation.) In the winter, I plan on adding plywood inserts between the shutters and the screen windows. So, I'm just left with the dilemma of the corners. Do I 1)cover them with hardware cloth and appreciate the extra airflow or 2) create a wood corner on the inside to keep the air from coming in?

This picture is just like playhouse that I have...it shows these gaps for reference..

teen-living-little-tikes-house.jpg

I can hopefully get pictures of mine soon. As far as it getting too hot...I was in it in 95degree sunny weather putting in the hardware cloth. I think the girls will be fine in the summer, I'm more concerned with preventing winter drafts.

TIA for you help
smile.png

The coop that I have has ventilation all over it and it did fine this winter with just a rooster in it. I did put a heat lamp out there to help keep him a bit warmer since he was the only one in the coop. We got to -5° or so this last winter here too. I would just go with the hard cloth so you have the ventilation for in the summer you will really want it.

Chicken to tend to cuddle quite close (even in the summer I have found) so they tend to keep warm.

Thank you. I suppose I could always cover the sides in plastic if it doesn't seem to be working. The coop will be sitting next to the shed, which will give some wind block also.
thumbsup.gif

You might want to try the expandable foam insulation (in can) for the corner holes. Tape cardboard to one side (inside would probably be best then you can work from the outside with better light), might want to use duct tape, then fill with foam (should not take very much because it expands a lot. Don't worry about being perfect because the foam that extrudes can be easily cut with a knife. Might want to seal it with pain for something on both sides Could probably insulat the walls with this stuff also, just have to drill small holes to put the straw that comes with it into the inside of the walls, be great for the winter, and might keep it cooler in the summer. Hope this helps.

I picked up a little tikes playhouse coop from craiglist (cheap). I have everything figured out I think, except for these gaps at the corners where the walls meet and join. There is a 2-3" gap where the pieces hook together. I can cover them with hardware cloth, but I wonder if that will be too drafty in the winter (central indiana.) I have hardware cloth over the windows now, and will be adding it to where the roof meets the walls (there is 1-2" gap all around, so I do have ceiling ventilation.) In the winter, I plan on adding plywood inserts between the shutters and the screen windows. So, I'm just left with the dilemma of the corners. Do I 1)cover them with hardware cloth and appreciate the extra airflow or 2) create a wood corner on the inside to keep the air from coming in?

This picture is just like playhouse that I have...it shows these gaps for reference..

teen-living-little-tikes-house.jpg

I can hopefully get pictures of mine soon. As far as it getting too hot...I was in it in 95degree sunny weather putting in the hardware cloth. I think the girls will be fine in the summer, I'm more concerned with preventing winter drafts.

TIA for you help
smile.png
I used expand a foam. Hoping it works. How did you do the roof?

Back
Top Bottom