VENTILATION IN EXTERIOR NESTING BOX

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chuckzoo, May 6, 2009.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Hi all you experts!
    We are in a hot humid climate in Alabama and I am wondering it I have sufficient ventilation in my 6 sq ft coop for my two BR girls?
    The gable ventilation is a triangular section 6" high by 18" long (front and back so there is a cross breeze. I also have under both eaves ventilation ~ 2" by 23". Is this enough for this climate?

Nesting boxes - I was thinking of having two of the small circular vents ~ 3" on either side of the nesting box since it is an exterior box, would this be enough?

I would be grateful for any ideas to keep my two little girls comforatble this summer.[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Jenny

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I'd heard of some people using a wire floor in their nest boxes for ventilation and then using a straw or hay bedding. They say the air flow under the chickens butt helps keep them from going broody.

I'm not to the point of having to think about, or build a nest box yet so I can't say what I'd do.. All I know is I'm going with one wide community nest box as apposed to three sections.

3. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks!
    That sound like a good idea.
    I was reading about your greenhouse and was wondering what the following is for;

"coated all the wood in a mixture of sunflower oil, activated charcoal and iron oxide (from LV). DW helped (did most) with the staining"

4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:Ahhh... Had me confused there for a minute. Didn't realize what you were talking about.

Garden Tenders is a community site , much like a hybridized forum. It really puts a social aspect on blogging or showcasing projects about the gardening you do. Anyway, that is Zuki's post about the greenhouse they're doing.

The sunflower oil would be a natural sealer and the charcoal and iron oxide would be natural stains. Charcoal giving a dark black tint, and iron oxide a rusty red color.

He and his wife do really good work, for sure.. Always impressed with what they come up with.

For those who like woodworking too, might try checking out http://lumberjocks.com/ and seeing what people there are doing.. That place is huge though, with tons of members. I don't do much woodworking so I stick with the gardening site. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by