Ventilation in sub zero temps.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SheenaHinn, Jan 11, 2017.

1. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    I live in Montana and right now our temperature is only about 6 below zero, but we have a fairly strong wind. I have a heat lamp in my coop and have the windows cracked for ventilation, but my question is, if the wind is blowing directly on the side of the coop with the windows, should I still keep them cracked open??? I have a vent on the other side, but it's a fairly large vent and I feel that the heat from the lamp will just go out the vent. What are your thoughts?? Thank you!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sorry, I live in the equator, so I don't have any experience of such conditions. Other greeters I'm sure will have advice. You can always post your question on the Coops and Runs forum.

All the best
    CT

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Sheena [​IMG] Welcome!

Like Ken, cold winters is not something I have experienced. Besides the Coop Forum Ken has suggested, you could also try posting on your local thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    I apologize! A little new to this forum thing. Obviously haven't quite got it figure out. Thank you for your responses. I'll delete this post and try to find the right forum to post in.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey Sheena, no need for apologies or deletion. I should have noticed the join date and the fact that you were not technically new.

All good and hi anyways [​IMG]

6. SheenaHinn

SheenaHinn Just Hatched

Aug 10, 2016
    Thank you! I'll try the Coops and Runs or the local forums. Appreciate the help!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    As Teila says - absolutely no need to apologise, nor delete your thread. We were just trying to point you to the forums where you are likely to get the best advice.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - I think you will get the best advice from others in your state. Just put "Montana," in the search box and your state thread will pop up. You can post there. You might also tell them what breeds you have, ages. etc. Generally most chickens can handle cold much better than heat. But, there are more fragile breeds like silkies, and I think bantams might need warmer temps.

9. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I'm from Kalispell so know all about the temperatures you are having. Lowest we've hit so far this year is -22. I have two 1 by 3 foot vents just under the eaves of my coop. I also have a 2 by 2 foot vent that is lower but is completely free from any wind. My house is L shaped and the coop is in the L and that vent is only a few feet from the house. Their pop door is open year round. The roosts are low, only 22 inches from the floor so that no breeze blows on them from the upper vents. The window will stay closed until around March or so as there would be a breeze on the roost if it was open. The run is covered and the sides of the run are covered with clear vinyl shower curtains on 3 sides so the girls have a dry, wind free place to eat and drink. The coop gets lots of ventilation without any breezes blowing on the birds. They are doing well without adding any heat. You need to redo your coop so you have cross ventilation without breezes blowing on your birds.

A dry chicken is a warm chicken. They don't require heat. They have a wonderful permanent down blanket under their feathers. Mine are outside running around in the run when it's below 0. They hate being inside during the day.

In the past few weeks there have been 4 people who have written into the forums. They lost all or most of their birds to coop fires caused by a heat lamp. There are many members here who do not use a heat lamp in winter. Please do some reading on the dangers of using one. There are other ways to provide warmth that are safer if you feel that heat is needed. I was just at Murdochs and saw a pad of some sort that you hang on the wall of the coop that will provide some warmth for under $40 that would be so much safer than a heat lamp.

I learned a lot by reading on the forums. Was scared the first year I had chickens in winter. I believed the people who had been raising chickens. Their advice was very sound.

I just reread your first post. Do not try to keep the heat from that heat lamp in your coop. I know it sounds strange, but your birds will be warmer if you have enough ventilation to keep all the moisture from their breathing and pooping out of the coop. Do not close off your coop to try to keep it warm. The birds will be happier if you let them do what they were bred to do. Also wanted to add that 2 by 4s make great roosts if you place them wide side up. That way the birds can sit on the feet at night and keep their feet nice and toasty.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    3 people like this.
  10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Great advice from @wamtazlady

Hope that helps answer your question!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by