1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation in the chicken coop; help thanks :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cynthia 085, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    [​IMG]Hi guys!

I wanted some help in ventilating the coop better. One of my chickens got frostbite; I believe it is because I don't have enough ventilation in the coop.

The coop is not yet completed as it still needs work, but here it is hopefully you guys can help me :)
    (Note we added holes in the top, but it was clearly not enough).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the top lid of the nesting boxes (metal thing is the handle).
    [​IMG]
    I have opened the lid of the nesting boxes a bit to get some air flow.
    [​IMG]
    There is this little window, but it is just covered up.
    [​IMG]

Please let me know what I can do :)

2. NYcue

NYcue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    I think we need some more pictures. Maybe a couple of pictures of the entire setup instead of sections would help? In picture #3... we can see the inside of the house and ceiling with a couple of small holes... what's above that? Are those small holes vents?

3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I don't know how others feel about this but I didn't think my coop had enough ventilation either, so I drilled some 1" holes in my coop in the top of the door. You could also drill them in the top of the walls just under the roof overhang. Just use a power drill and a 1" auger bit. The holes are big enough for air flow but not so big that they will be a problem in the coldest winter months. Also, if you are worried about leaving the opening (it's just 1" so I'm not to worried) you can always put hardware cloth over them from the inside.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Here are more pictures; thanks for the quick reply's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The coop is in two parts. The coop and the roof. The coop is box and the roof is just on top of the box.
    [​IMG]

On the right side of the roof (inside) it is open we have not sealed that part up.
    [​IMG]
    This is the roof with one part open (the right side). The little latch holds the nesting boxes.
    Hopefully this pictures help you guys out. I will get more if I need to.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

How many birds are in the coop?

Proper ventilation is critical.

Many on this list, as do I, use 1 square foot (144 square inches) of proper draft free ventilation per average bird, as their guide.

That's a LOT of 1" holes...[​IMG]

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

So is the window covered with plastic or plexi glass or some such? If so why not leave it open and just cover it with hardware cloth? You could also cut a vent in the door, also cover with hardware cloth. That should creat enough cross breeze to get better ventilation.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thanks guys!
    Wow that many?
    How do I go about getting more ventilation without getting drafts?

My stupid idea was to drill 1''holes at the top of the ceiling of the chicken coop and the hot moisty air would rise and escape that way, but that was me being stupid.

Where should I add holes or ventilation shafts?
    Thanks

3 chickens/hens; the coop is not that big as we are only having 3 in there. RR, a Buff Rock, and a Ancona.

8. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Cafarmgirl, sounds like a good idea :)

Would that create ventilation and not a cold draft? I would hate for my chickens to be cold.

Thanks for the idea I think I will go ahead and do as you say :)

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Hmmm, didn't realize their roost was right by that window. I think what I might do is add smaller vents as some other folks suggested, or add a long vent along the top of the door, but I'd probably still make that window able to be opened in the warmer months and close it in bad weather. What are your temps like in the summer where you are? Chickens are pretty good at keeping warm, not so much at keeping cool enough!

1 person likes this.
  10. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Sounds good thanks for the reply.

We are going to get a window on the "open door" and get a few more holes around the main entrance. Hopefully this will help. The nesting boxes are still an issue. One of our girls like to sleep on the nesting boxes and I am sure that is how she got frostbite. So we will work something out with the nesting boxes.

I live in USA Colorado. I think it can get to -24F in the winter (January is a harsh month for us here). Usually though it should not drop too much.

The hottest it gets is @ 88F I think. July is a very very hot month for us here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by