Ventilation in torrentially rainy climate

Crusty McPottydoodle

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 14, 2009
The Wet Coast
So, we're in the process of planning for the next flock and intend to recreate the original coop we built in Vancouver way back when with some modifications for location and climate.

For the most part, it will be fine, however we do have one significant concern. We get massive amounts of rain (often in excess of 100mm in 24 hours - welcome to my rain forest) and often the wind blows that torrential rain horizontally.

The orientation we plan to have for the coop means the majority of the wind will blow through the ventilation you can see at the top of the nest side (and partly see in the inside house pic).

What we need to do is figure out a way to maintain good ventilation, but protect from the rain being blown directly into the coop.

Altering the direction of the coop isn't an option as this aspect provides the most protection from wind and rain for the girls throughout the day and night.
Dimensions (for those who might care about such things): house portion 4'X8' and run 8'x8'. Not sure height, but I think the very back might have been about 4'6 and front was about 6'

coop front.jpg
Run inside.jpg
Inside house.jpg
nestbox side.jpg

Consider this option,,,,,,
Build your coop as your previous one. On the outside open portions, install hooks so that you can hang light duty tarps. You will know when rains are coming. Use tarps then . After rain stops, remove and fold tarps. Other option witch may be impractical and awkward would be to make large roof overhangs.
WISHING YOU BEST...... :thumbsup

I feel for you. I live in SE Alaska and our weather is similar to yours...except we get twice as much rain as you. So I'm familiar with 'damp' conditions :lau. I suggest making at least two sides of the run solid, if not three. One side already is where the coop portion resides. Close off the back as well.

I have a similar setup with three solid sides and there is still plenty of airflow. Mine has the coop on one side, greenhouse panels on the back (so it is protected from wind and rain but still gets light), and the 3rd sides shares a wall with my woodshed (plywood on the bottom and lattice on the top). The lattice does allow some airflow but no rain because of the position of the woodshed. The front is wire.

Also make the overhangs wider as cavemanrich suggested. Particularly over the side with the coop. If it was me I would fill in that whole side (don't leave the triangle above the nest box open wire). Just put a few vents along the top, right under the roof line for airflow. And maybe a window next to but slightly higher than the nest box. If you keep it toward the front it looks like you won't have any direct drafts on the roost bars. It can be propped open in good weather but closed when it's blowing rain.

Tuesday is official start building the coop day!

We've made some adjustments to the original plan. The south wall will now be solid. This will remove risk of rain being blown into the coop by wind off the ocean as well as risk of significant cross-breeze. The wall between the run and the house will have the same large hardware cloth venting at the top, so we think that should provide sufficient ventilation.

To protect the front of the run in stormy weather (although wind doesn't tend to blow in that direction very much) we will set up a tarp system that we can easily remove, or roll up and attach to the underside of the roof.

Chicks arrive on the 18th and I'm ridiculously excited.
I've ordered 3 commercial layers, 2 Jersey Giants, 2 Welsummers, 2 Australorps (my personal fave), and 2 Ameraucaunas (Husband loves green.blue eggs). They will be 2 weeks old by the time I bring them home (because of travel plans and hatch dates).
We don't necessarily *plan* to keep all 11. We wanted to see which ones (other than the commercial layers) we preferred, then offer the others to our farm friends up the road (who have about 45 hens at the moment) or other people in the village looking for point of lay. Of course, it's entirely possible I won't be able to give any up and my husband will have to build me more run space (although I think we will be setting up some psuedo-free-ranging space as we have eagles, so don't want them swooping down and scooping up our girls).

Back
Top Bottom