Ventilation in Winter

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
EBD1A688-485A-4D18-8A40-7A0D961A9BDD.jpeg
3ED0A3EF-868B-43BF-9B14-07662C468E2D.jpeg
I know that ventilation is important, and several of you have commented on my coop and made suggestions (thank you for that!) on additional ventilation in the eaves (I have them on the end of each peak for cross ventilation).

The manufacturer is replacing my coop due to improper window placement on the back so I can’t modify the current coop, and the new one won’t be in for a month or more. Are the peak openings sufficient for the next 4-6 weeks? I have the coop door (where they go into the pen) open all day long so there is a constant fresh air circulating all day. How important is additional ventilation thru the night, the 12 or so hours it is closed after dark? FYI - The big long window in the back will be CLOSED, that is one they placed too low.

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 1585748 View attachment 1585749 I know that ventilation is important, and several of you have commented on my coop and made suggestions (thank you for that!) on additional ventilation in the eaves (I have them on the end of each peak for cross ventilation).

The manufacturer is replacing my coop due to improper window placement on the back so I can’t modify the current coop, and the new one won’t be in for a month or more. Are the peak openings sufficient for the next 4-6 weeks? I have the coop door (where they go into the pen) open all day long so there is a constant fresh air circulating all day. How important is additional ventilation thru the night, the 12 or so hours it is closed after dark? FYI - The big long window in the back will be CLOSED, that is one they placed too low.

Thanks in advance!!
Night is when ventilation is most important.....you have full bioload at that time as all birds are inside, expelling moisture via waste and respiration and amonia via waste. Add in temps below freezing and the moisture becomes frostbite.

The manufacturer is replacing my coop due to improper window placement on the back so I can’t modify the current coop, and the new one won’t be in for a month or more.
Well, that's interesting!
The window over the roosts is what is 'improper'?

How many chickens and how big is that coop? I'm sure you will see temperatures below freezing where you are in the next month, the unknown is how much below. The heavier the bioload the more important ventilation is.

As long as you don't have it packed to tightly you will probably be OK. Those big gable vents will move a lot of air. With that window closed you avoid the double whammy of wind chill and moist air. And try to keep the coop floor dry. A wet coop floor can add a lot to the humidity inside, maybe more than the chickens.

How many chickens and how big is that coop? I'm sure you will see temperatures below freezing where you are in the next month, the unknown is how much below. The heavier the bioload the more important ventilation is.

As long as you don't have it packed to tightly you will probably be OK. Those big gable vents will move a lot of air. With that window closed you avoid the double whammy of wind chill and moist air. And try to keep the coop floor dry. A wet coop floor can add a lot to the humidity inside, maybe more than the chickens.

We have ten 7 week old girls in a 6x6 coop, so they are still small - but boy do they poop a lot! I have a MHP in the corner on the floor that they sleep on - they have only roosted once that I saw and it was a wonderful 70 degrees. The overall size is 6x12 and we are replacing it with a 7x18 ... chicken math has already kicked in! This is a picture of the current coop.

So I assume they’ll be OK with the peak vents until the new coop comes?
1B0B4AE7-2BB0-44F0-A8E6-B075132C17A3.jpeg

I'd think so.

The only time there is any real danger of frostbite is when the temperature drops below freezing so you might want to remove any piles of poop build-up before that happens. But once the poop freezes it is not going to give off much moisture until it thaws. Don't know if you will see it get that cold in the next month.

No - unfortunately the windows only open from the bottom.

Supposed to be 30 degrees overnight. Ugh. I hate winter!
Deep Breath....it'll be OK....first winter is hard but you, and your birds, will make it thru.
Was 23 here this morning and I hadn't put the heater in the waterer yet so had to trot out and swap the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom