Ventilation, is this enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    My coop is 4x8. We have a window that's 1.5' x 2' and. 15x15 chicken door. The roof is metal with a vented ridge cap. DH thinks it has as much ventilatioin as possible, thinks adding more would be redundant.

We are in middle tn, hot hot hot, so I'm concerned.

Chicks are only 2 weeks, so still indoors.

Think it's enough ventilation?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is no such thing as "redundant" ventilation, in truth. You cannot have too much of that, not in the south. Take a thermometer out there and check temps in the afternoon with the pop door and window open like you'd have it when the birds are in there and you'll see how hot it will be.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Talk him into MORE...I'm up in Indiana, have TWO windows and two 16" vents and I STILL don't have enough ventilation for hot summers (6x8 coop). If I could go back I would add a lot more ventilation to my coop build... But I can't go back, so I resort to window fans in my coop...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    The thing to consider as well is that ventilation is needed in the winter when, if it gets cold where you are, you can't just leave the windows open. Even if it's very cold, the humidity has to have somewhere to escape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by