ventilation issue, please help? New pics on #15 Thank you!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stcroixusvi, Jun 9, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We are midway through finishing the coop and having a discussion about how many of the windows should open. I want one on each side to open. My husband says two windows total are enough. The window size is huge - 27" x 32", will have 1" hardware cloth, and the coop size is 7 x 7 without the nesting boxes - 7 x 10 with nesting boxes. We are at 3500 ft elevation so extreme heat is rarely an issue, and as you can see, the coop is nested in some trees. The 10 x 30 ft run will go back into the woods. Chick(en)s will free range when possible.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a stunning coop! I'm no expert but I personally would probably lobby for 3 but 2 may well be sufficient if your highest temp is 80ish.

3. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I would think 2 if it has cross breeze. But that's just my humble opinion. Very nice coop.[​IMG]

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Thanks - I am hoping to convince my husband today that 4 windows need to open, 1 on each side.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Thats an awesome looking coop! That being said,I read somewhere is that you cant have enough ventilation. Mine has 3 small windows,the top pitch soffit of the roof has 7 bays(14x12) enclosed with hardware cloth thats I close in during winter and a split entry door with a screened upper half. Ventilation not only provides the coop to cool but also fresh moving air to wick moisture out, essential in deep litter method, clears the air of ammonia as well. The rule I live by in life is "to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I would one on each side hinged at the top so they shed rain down and not into the coop. This will give you options dependingon weather, wind direction, time of the year. Great looking coop.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So you're up in the mountains and it doesn't get THAT hot (I spent a summer in the mountains above Blacksburg VA, back in grad school)... I would guess there is some chance you'd be ok with only 2 windows opening, especially if they're on opposite sides... but you'd still be safer with more windows openable.

(Especially if, I'm not sure from the pic and don't remember what you've said on other threads, is that whole top part going to be glassed? If so, you may have heat problems without more windows openable, unless coop is shaded all day; and if whole top part will be glassed you WILL have some condensation issues in winter and need to *at least* bubblewrap most of the glass for wintertime)

Pat

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  8. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    really nice

have you checked out pat's ventilation page?

i think the more ventilation the better

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Where are your roosts going to go? I'm thinking about winter ventilation, and how you won't want to have to leave a window open right next to the roost.

10. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    forgot to say, that coop is super attractive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by