Ventilation of Bottom Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MEMama3, Nov 18, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I decided that instead of building a second coop that I would use the space (4'x5' and 3' tall) to create a second coop. I've got it all figured out except the ventilation. In the current coop I've got open eaves, two Windows that at 6" tall and run the length of the coop with adjustable shutters and two large openings that get screen in the warm months and wood in the cold months.

Do you think long windows with shutters will be sufficient during the winter without open eaves? My general rule of thumb is open shutters over 32°f and closed if it's colder. The bottom coop would have no secondary ventilation in the winter.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you post a pic?

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    delete

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I don't really have a picture yet as I'm imagining how this will all go. If you look at my coop page you'll see the coop as it is now. Basically I was going to raise it and put it on concrete blocks and then build in the bottom, adding another communal nest box.
    Thanks for the idea! I think they even have skinny ones so I can avoid airflow on their heads. That's the flaw of "short" coops. I want the girls to be able to roost, but I don't want drafts on their heads. It's such a balancing act. If I hadn't worked so hard on the first coop (and I didn't fear irritating town officials that have kindly looked the other way) I would scrap this one and do a nice walk-in shed style coop.

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could just add windows to the new part as in the old part.

Chris

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

Even something as simple as a hole cut in the side wall similar to the hole cut in this door with hardware cloth installed on the inside of the side wall.

Then you could hinged the wood rectangle cut out of the side wall to allow for ventilation.

You could even take it a step further at some point and installed a piece of glass into the wood.

Just by cutting out a hole in the wood allowing for a ¼ inch lip on the perimeter of the rectangle to hold a piece of glass (in my case I just cut a piece out of a clear plastic container) in place with a bead of silicone.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by