1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation Question!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mnbrewdude, Feb 5, 2016.

1. mnbrewdude

mnbrewdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    Finishing the schematics on my 4x8 elevated chicken coop. On my gable ends I have some windows which will allow light and are openable for cross ventilation. On my "long" walls, I was thinking about making a long narrow vent, perhaps 6in by 6 foot, on both sides. Of course it would be protected with hardware cloth to keep critters out. I would do this on both sides. Included is a rough blueprint showing what I mean. Any thoughts on this? How would this work being open in the winter to allow air movement without being too drafty? Too much ventilation??

[​IMG]

2. mnbrewdude

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    Of course the photo would be posted sideways!!! The lower box will be my pop door, so disregard that.

3. mnbrewdude

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    Crickets, really!?

4. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I hope you get an answer soon, because that is pretty much what I was thinking also for my 4 x 8 raised coop plans.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Windows tend to be too low for adequate ventilation. And if they are shut due to weather, there goes most of your ventilation. Gable vents above the windows, as close to the roofline as you can get would work the better than relying on the windows. The long, narrow vents on the long wall will help pull in fresh air, and pushing the air up, along the ceiling, and the gable vents will be the 'escape' vents.

1 person likes this.
  6. WVForestGirl

WVForestGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2015
    West Virginia
    If you were to put the windows on both sides I would worry about a draft across the high areas where the chickens like to roost. I would suggest gable vent on one side and a low intake or cracked window on the other. This way you would get good air movement and venting without drafts.

7. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    What affect does the pop door have on ventilation?

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pop doors are too low and small. Ammonia and moisture rise. The bulk of ventilation should be at least a foot and a half above the roosting level to avoid drafts.

9. mnbrewdude

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota

Thanks for the input! I will do the long narrow vents on both sides and then gable vents at the peaks of the ends. I should clarify that my roof is a 12/12 pitch so there will be ample airspace up there that is inaccessible to my hens. I did this hoping that it would help with ventilation and now it sounds like it's going to work out! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by