1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jodiemama, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Jodiemama

Jodiemama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Montevallo
    We got this shed to use for our coop, but the 8x6 size.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_4792-57658-18125-2_4294778082_4294937087_?productId=3170783&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Wood%2BStorage%2BBuildings_4294778082_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1%26page%3D4

I
    need to put in ventilation.

I have thought of cutting into the two top triangles on the front and back.
    I also have planned to make a screen for the front doors to open up during the day in the warm months.

Would those things be enough?
    How would you add ventilation?

DH wants to put a fan in the round hole in front, but I have tried to tell him we need more than that.
    We are in central Alabama and the summers here are hot and humid.

2. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
  3. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    You'll definitely need more ventilation rather than less. The screen doors would be nice. Depending on orientation they could allow a lot of rain in the building in a driving storm though. If I were starting with a structure like that, I might frame a couple of windows in the non-gabled sides I'd do it up high and away from the roosts as much as possible. You don't want drafts blowing across them on the roost. The rule of thumb I've tried to shoot for is 1 sqft of ventilation for 10 sqft of floor space.

As for the windows, I wouldn't use standard windows myself. I might make up a crude frame that tilted out from the bottom ( /| ). It let's the air in and water rolls off. They will appreciate screens though. Quite accidentally, my coop has a "screen porch" Have a roof over it allows me to keep everything opened up in inclement weather. It also gives them a shade from the hot sun while still being outside. I'm thinking about doing the same on the other end actually.

...And definitely read the link above. Patandchickens has some well-reasoned, sensible advice.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. Jodiemama

Jul 25, 2009
    Montevallo
    Thanks.[​IMG]
    The coop faces to the south.
    Cutting in some windows that we can close if need be is a great idea.
    Of course the doors will be closed at night or if its raining.

Would it be ok to open up the gables and leave them open year round?
    This would be the north and south up high.

My current thinking is open the gables, put screen in the doorway and open doors during the day when it is not raining, cut in some windows(that flip out so rain can't get in) that can be closed if need be.

Does this sound ok?

I want it to be ventilated but not too drafty for the girls in the winter.
    Still trying to figure out what would be too drafty and not advised.

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great info!

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:True in winter, but not true in summer. In Alabama summers, any breeze inside a coop would be much appreciated by the chickens!

It really helps if you can site the coop itself someplace where it is shaded much of the day. Our newest coop is in the deepest shade in our yard, and it isn't getting hotter inside the coop than the outside ambient temperature. The coop is also insulated, and adequately ventilated.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yes, as long as it doesn't result in too much rain blowing in (the problem with those sheds is they haven't much in the way of a roof overhang). The same goes, really, for pretty much any ventilation you add. The ideal thing would be to create a little roofed 'porch' (full height) that you can have a large open (hardwarecloth covered) opening into, so that rain will seldom blow into the coop. It's not a big issue if "some" rain blows in but you don't want it getting massively drenched all over and you don't want wintertime rain blowing in much.

My current thinking is open the gables, put screen in the doorway and open doors during the day when it is not raining, cut in some windows(that flip out so rain can't get in) that can be closed if need be.Does this sound ok?

I'd say it sounds like the right ballpark -- try it, you may have to do some tweaking but I think that's the right general path to follow [​IMG]

I want it to be ventilated but not too drafty for the girls in the winter.

How cold do you get? If you are in N AL you may find yourself wanting to close the upwind vents on cold (for you, LOL) and/or windy nights; but if you are more towards the coast then even that isn't likely to be an issue, at least not more than rarely.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

8. Jodiemama

Jul 25, 2009
    Montevallo
    Thanks for all the advice.

We are in central Alabama. Some nights in winter can get in the teens, thats about as low as it gets. We rarely get snow, but we do get freezing rain.

I'll have to find a way to shield the vents up top from the rain. Hmm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by