Ventilation question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by minister man, Jan 19, 2012.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Let's say a fellow, ................. maybe a fellow from Cold Canada........................ Who wanted to hatch a few early chicks built breeder/ setting pens that were 2 feet by 6 feet x 30" high. Insulated and covered them...... Put a light bulb in there on a time clock set for 16 hours of light and heat. OR maybe two bulbs, one CFL bulb for light and a bulb for heat on a thermostat so they don't over heat if the outside temp changes.

So a trio of silkies live inside the "box" . They have long days, warm place to lay, and when they set, I simply drop a divider in the center and set on hen on each end. It seems like it would work fine, except for ventilation. How would said fellow ventilate such a box?

I am thinking that if it had no floor in it, just set up in the barn, when done, simply pick it up, sweep up the mess and store until next year.

Thanks MM

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Maybe said fellow could space the top with maybe some 2x4 blocks and and that should give said fellows breeder box enough ventilation :)
    You could also set some on the bottom.

3. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    so if I made the ends and back 30" high, then the front could be say 28" high, so there is a space between the top and front wall of a couple of inches. Is that the kind of thing your thinking?

4. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Sort of yes. As long as you leave breathing room so its not too humid inside you will be fine. I would make the front and sides about 27 back at 30 and leave the angled front to back edge on the sides open. I would screen or hardware cloth it to make sure nothing crawls in though. What are you going to do about the bottom. If you hardware cloth it that would give extra venting also. With no bottom and no way of cleaning thats going to be a real mess for you.If you wire bottmed it you could set it on 2x4 s laid flat and put a tray under it to make nice simple cleaning of the area.

5. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Ok, That sounds do able. Said person, could even make them like insulated chicken arks, if it was for the several feet of snow that might cover them over so I couldn't get in them!

As far as the hardware cloth on the floor, I thought it there was ventilation in the bottom and on the top it would be drafty. Is that not true? Anyhow, I was planning to put in a couple of inches of shavings and keep them dry by using a kitty litter scoop to scoop out the poop. I was thinking if it was only 30" deep there would be no problem to reach the floor. what do you think?

6. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    That could work with the shavings. As far as the drafty it would have to blow pretty hard to get there and the pan would stop most of that also. Sounds like you got it working out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by