Ventilation question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zeldaah, Mar 15, 2013.

1. zeldaah

zeldaah New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Hi! I have size chicks ranging from 1.5-2.5 weeks old. They're in a giant tupperware (70L?) in the bathtub, and it's been working great. However, the boldest among them is trying to fly the coop and has been seen perched on the edge of the tupperware.

I thought of putting a screen over the top, but didn't have any screen handy. What I DID have is a second giant tupperware, so I turned it upside-down over the lower one and clamped it on. I drilled a bunch of 1" holes all over it (see photo).

So now I'm wondering, do the chicks have enough ventilation like this? And what should I do with their heat lamp, since I don't want to cook them in a greenhouse?

(I also ran a 1" PVC in there for a perch. Is that too big for them?)

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zeldaah

zeldaah New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Oh, and this is my first post on the forums. Hi and thanks in advance for any advice!

3. zeldaah

zeldaah New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    I'm still hoping someone has a comment regarding ventilation in this setup! I'm still nervous about it.

4. Familyochickens

Familyochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    I wouldn't do that...the heat lamp will have a greenhouse effect and you might have steamed bird! I would suggets chicken wire or even an old screen from a window instead......welcome to BYC and just kidding about the steamed bird! :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by