VENTILATION QUESTION

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    I read I should have 1 sq. ft. ventilation per chicken or minimum 1 sq. ft. per 10 sq. ft. of floor area. We only have 2 hens and are building a 4'x8' coop (we will be adding more ventilation that closes down in case we get a couple more). In the meantime that would equal 2 sq. ft. ventilation for the 2 hens or 3 sq. ft. for the floor space- WHICH DO I DO? Keep in mind our very cold winters here in Michigan and w/ only 2 girls they don't have the advantage of a warm chicken on each side of them at night.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you're ok.
    Err on the side of too much ventilation.

3. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. Banriona

Banriona Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go with the 3 for now and see how they do. Maybe on the extremely cold nights you could close one of them. Make sure they have lots of bedding in there to help hold in the heat too.

For that size coop I would make sure it has at least a total of 8sf and close off all but what you need for the number of hens you actually have. Never underestimate the power of chicken math. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by