1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by azcook, Jan 22, 2014.

1. azcook

azcook Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is our coop so far we will add another layer of pallets for the height
    Our plan is to close the gaps like this [​IMG] and doing the top ventilation like posted probably only a foot of ventilation... Should I add windows? The chickens free range most of the time so I will be able to leave the top door open during the day... This is the plans for the door... [​IMG] there will also be a small door going out into the run that will provide a little ventilation also.

1 person likes this.
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would put hardware cloth over that large top space in the second picture, for ventilation. Depends where you live, really.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto....does azcook mean Arizona?

4. azcook

May 2, 2013
    I live ok oklahoma

5. 910derrick

910derrick New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    Raeford N.c
    Nice coop. I'm worried about my ventalation as well. How about rain is it ok if the rain gets inside ? I have a very small coop . Made out of pallets and mold crates all free stuff . And my vents are going to be threw the roof at an angle .Pictures coming soon .all 100% free hand . I'm new to the chicken world but I have to say I'm super excited .

6. azcook

May 2, 2013
    Rain getting in is a concern but I don't plan on on extending the roof in the front to go over the run so it will just be able to come in on the sides so unless the wind is blowing like crazy I don't think it will be an issue.. If it is I guess I will have to biluild a flap to cover the sides?

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have an open-air coop, and any rain that does get in, is no big deal. I have hardwarecloth over all the window openings. That blocks most of the rain, the floor will get damp, but if you have a properly ventilated coop, it will dry out quickly. At least, that is what I have found with my coop.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by