1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennyf, May 29, 2016.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I know I need to add some holes up top, but which side would be best? Midwest area, so warm summers, cold winters.

Left side (faces east)

[​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Right side just has pop door, back is solid right now.

Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Which direction do most of your prevailing winter winds come from (in my area they come from the northwest)??? Place the ventilation on the opposite wall(s) so that icy winter winds don't blow in.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We live in the Midwest, the ventilation opening is high on the east side. There is a window on the north & south sides, walki-in door on west. During the winter we close the north window but leave the south window cracked.

4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd open up the eaves both on the low and high sides, cover with HC of course.
    Then put a big vent up high on the run side as it will be protected from all weather there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by