ventilation suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CowgirlPenny, May 6, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    If we didn't want to put windows on our coop, what's an alternative? Pics would be fantastic.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is an excellent article on ventilation which I feel everyone not in a hot climate should read:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

However, you will want at least one window for natural light, so they can look out and to encourage them to go in at dusk. It doesn't have to open if you have good ventilation. I actually have areas of wall covered with wire mesh rather than windows, but this is a warm climate so there is no need to close them up in winter.

3. h2olilee

h2olilee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    We went to the marine store and got round metal louvered vents meant for boats. We cut holes for them to fit around the top of the hen house and added window screening when we screwed them on to keep out insects. Works great!

4. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I have seen countless coops that are all wood with a door, and no window. Is the window truly necessary? Mine have no issues going in at dusk, so I guess the only benefit would be that they could see out.

Could we not do a screen window opening, that had a door/shutter type deal that would close in the colder months?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Little round vents are not going to provide much ventilation. For instance even a 4" diameter hole (about the biggest holesaw bit you're going to find) is still only about 12 square inches, i.e. TWELVE 4"-diameter holes is still less than 1 sq ft of opening.

A window is not necessary but it is an awfully good idea; first, because otherwise you will find them quitting laying much earlier in the fall (and resuming later in the winter) than is necessary, and second because it is a good way of providing additional ventilation in summertime with some light for when they are inside.

If you have a windowless coop with no window-sized ventilation openings, it will get powerfully overheated during a TN summer, unless the coop is built in a cave...

Pat

6. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Quote:What do you consider window sized ventilation openings if someone is not using an actual window? So I assume you are saying what the previous person suggested about the round vents, is not adequate. A window also presents an issue with the placement of our roost bars, since I have read the ventilation needs to be higher than the roost bars. Might need to reconfigure a wall. Hum.....

7. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    How about a ventilating skylight? I haven't installed one, but am considering it very much. Still doing some research as my biggest concern is rain protection on an angled roof. From what I've found so far, this problem is factored in, so it's looking like a good idea. Has anyone else tried this?

Mark

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Openable skylight Bad Idea. All sorts of disadvantages (excessive heat gain, leaks, rain coming in if it's open, condensation in winter if you live in freezy climate, and general expense and aggravation) with NO advantages over sensibly-designed wall ventilation. Really really.

Quote:I just mean, openings of that general size, they do not have to be an Official Window (although in many climates you want SOME means of shutting them at least partly at some times, ideally translucent or transparent covers but <shrug>), can perfectly well be that sort of sized hole cut in wall with hardwarecloth to keep predators out.

Point being, it takes AT LEAST ventilation on that order of magnitude to prevent overheating.

So I assume you are saying what the previous person suggested about the round vents, is not adequate.

Yes.

A window also presents an issue with the placement of our roost bars, since I have read the ventilation needs to be higher than the roost bars. Might need to reconfigure a wall. Hum.....

Ventilation does not need to be higher than roost; although in hot summer weather it is *nice* to have a high vent near roost and above it, to promote cool breezes, and in wintertime your best control of humidity will be achieved by vents high atop your downwind walls (preferably NOT near the roost though, as you don't WANT breeze on roost in that situation! [​IMG])

Take a look at my ventilation page (link in .sig below) if you haven't already, it might give you some ideas,

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by