1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation to Humidity Rate...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I've got my new hatcher up and running. Last night when I came home at 10pm, the temps were at 99.5 and humidity was at 62%. It has apparenlty held humidity between 61% and 64% since then, and the temps have stayed at 99.5.

This morning, I took the vent plugs out. there is a 1/2 inch hole directly behind the fan, and another 1/2 in hole at the bottom. You can feel the fan pulling in air, and pushing it out.

My problem is that the minute I took the plugs out humidity dropped into the 50's and I haven't been back to check it again.

I know ventilation is the key, but its almost worth it to me to NOT ventilate for the three days that the eggs will be in there to hatch. I dont know any other way to control the humidity as the vent holes are already WAY smaller than I had originally planned.

Should I try a bigger pan? MORE pans?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They some brand new sponges. Soak them in hot water, and then put them in the incubator.

That is what I have to do. Otherwise the humidity stays around 52-55. I like it at around 65%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by