Ventilation two sides or four?

Sep 22, 2022
Eastern Iowa
9CF602DC-753C-4DEA-BEA9-66D20F117FF3.jpeg

We purchased these plans to build a forever coop, but it does not include ventilation other than the 2 windows. We already changed the two small windows so one 30x24 window so we can add ventilation along the roof line on either side of the window, and we plan on running ventilation along the roof line on the back side as well. My question is should we add ventilation to rhe front and back in the peak as well or will the 6ft of insulation along the sides be enough? We live in Iowa so our winters are kind of a mix bag, some winters are rough with multiple snow storms and nights down to -30 and other winters get minimal snow and don't get that cold.

I did 3 sides but I live in AZ so it's needed!
I lived in Bullhead City Az for about 3 years, way too hot for me 🤣 I couldn’t hang with those temps. We can get high 90’s in the summer very rarely break 100 so you got us beat with the heat for sure. We built their run up on our hill under two massive pine trees. The shade up there helps tremendously with the heat in the summer, and I am hoping it will be a nice snow break also.

I lived in Bullhead City Az for about 3 years, way too hot for me 🤣 I couldn’t hang with those temps. We can get high 90’s in the summer very rarely break 100 so you got us beat with the heat for sure. We built their run up on our hill under two massive pine trees. The shade up there helps tremendously with the heat in the summer, and I am hoping it will be a nice snow break also.
We aren't from here and will move as soon as we can. The heat isn't for me either. lol Yes, shade helps so much! I have vines growing on my coop/run to help with shade! I'm going to plant a tree eventually too. We do get snow here, in winter, so winters are my favorite here. Beats the 100+ lol

I'd open up as much as you can so you have options.
I have windows an the way around my coop and it's great for warm nights.
You should also add overhangs all the way around for better protection against rain and snow blowing in through the windows.
His plans dont have an overhang. We already completed the framing so I am not sure we will be able to modify the roof line at this point. We were going to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the vent areas but we could cut them so that vent covers would fit instead. The window will definitely be closed when it rans or snows, so the vent areas would be the only place rain or snow could blow in. They are under two large pine trees so my hope is they will also add additional cover. They definitely have helped keep it cooler this summer. I attached photos of the run with the old prefab coop.

Attachments

• 88C5D75F-EE32-4C98-AAA9-9DB79413B817.jpeg
    88C5D75F-EE32-4C98-AAA9-9DB79413B817.jpeg
    771 KB · Views: 13
  • DB1DB39B-7D92-4D25-A4EF-EDE7E6077FB9.jpeg
    DB1DB39B-7D92-4D25-A4EF-EDE7E6077FB9.jpeg
    995.4 KB · Views: 16
We aren't from here and will move as soon as we can. The heat isn't for me either. lol Yes, shade helps so much! I have vines growing on my coop/run to help with shade! I'm going to plant a tree eventually too. We do get snow here, in winter, so winters are my favorite here. Beats the 100+ lol
I love a good tree, but they definitely take a few years to be helpful. We just planted a white oak to help shade the greenhouse from late afternoon sun, but it will be a couple years before we actually get the shade we want. I love snow. I grew up in southern CA and never saw snow unless it was man made. Love midwest winters

His plans dont have an overhang. We already completed the framing so I am not sure we will be able to modify the roof line at this point. We were going to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the vent areas but we could cut them so that vent covers would fit instead. The window will definitely be closed when it rans or snows, so the vent areas would be the only place rain or snow could blow in. They are under two large pine trees so my hope is they will also add additional cover. They definitely have helped keep it cooler this summer. I attached photos of the run with the old prefab coop.
I agree about ventilation there's a good article written by 3killerb's on coop ventilation. If it's only framed you might be able to add on to edge of roof ?
Heres article name
Screenshot_20220922-222630.png

Picture of you coop
Screenshot_20220922-222602.png

Attachments

• Airflow_Crayon.png
    Airflow_Crayon.png
    257 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! If you put your location into your profile people will be able to give better-targeted advice to all your questions since climate matters. :)

We already completed the framing so I am not sure we will be able to modify the roof line at this point.

You can add fly rafters to the ends and sister rafter extensions on the eaves before you sheath the roof.

Here's how-to (and how not to), extend a roof by sistering the extension to the rafters: https://strousehomeinspections.com/blog/structural-roof-extensions.html

And here is how to use lookouts to extend the roof at right-angles to the rafters: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...e-overhangs-eaves-of-a-shed-coop-house.76599/

Awnings over your vents are another option: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/check-out-my-chicken-tractor.1456418/post-24496139

I agree about ventilation there's a good article written by 3killerb's on coop ventilation.

Thanks for mentioning my article. ❤️

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Back
Top Bottom