Ventilation vs draft height

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
So maybe I’m overthinking this, but I’m at the point of my coop building that I have to figure out a height for the roosts, but cannot find anywhere online how far below the ventilation the roosts should be to avoid drafts in the winter. Also, I saw on one website that you should only put ventilation on one wall to avoid drafts. However, I have seen a lot where the ventilation is on multiple, if not all, walls. I’m so overwhelmed. I don’t feel like I’m ever going to get this right and I have spent SOOOOO much money and time. 😫

IMO cross ventilation is ideal, so I'd have vents on at least 2 walls across from each other to encourage air flowing in and out. I have vents on all 4 walls.

I would say aiming to have the vents 12" or more above the roosts would be "ideal" but as every build and layout is different, that's not set in stone. I have open windows on either side of my roosts, for example, but there's usually no draft because the windows don't face into predominant wind directions.

My vent is a 1 ft strip of HWC all the way around the top about 6" above their heads when roosting. If standing they can look out. I had built to protect from heat and it's in a micro climate that protects from winter winds.,

I’m so overwhelmed.
Yeah, you get so many different opinions on here. That's what a lot of it is, opinions and personal preferences. In real life it's not set in stone, each situation is different. Your coop size and layout can make a difference.

The goal is to have any cross breezes above their backs when they are on the roost. If it is cold they will squat down. In a small coop that may be 6". In a larger coop two feet may be nice.

I don't know how much room you have to work with. What I suggest is to make them as low as you reasonably can and still have them higher than the nests or anything else you don't want them sleeping on. In a small coop 6" above the nests may be enough, in a larger coop 12" might work better.

That's an excellent question, and something I always think about when people ask for opinions on various pre-fab coops, for which sufficient ventilation is often a problem. My knee-jerk reaction was 12-18 inches - a common measurement, at least in my chicken world! But should that be measured from the roost, or from the top of the chicken when they're standing (or sitting) on the roost? Roosters can be quite tall when they stretch out! I think if you do a few minimum/maximum measurements, and get it somewhere in the ballpark, it will be fine.

In my Little Monitor Coop the wire of the monitor is just over a foot above the roost, plenty of room when they're sitting down on their keels to sleep though they *can* look out if they stretch.

0121211121-jpg.2497693

@Yakisugi Coop has a ton of info on the coop article. It makes a great reference page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yakisugi-coop.76398/

As @Ridgerunner pointed out, everybody's situation is different, so take absolutes with a grain of salt and try to understand the rational behind the numbers.

I like Yakisugi's Coop page so much because so many decisions made include the rational behind them and links for reference.

... including this link that suggests you should have 18 inches from the roost bar surface to the bottom of the lowest vent.

https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/how-tall-should-a-chicken-coop-be

But in line with ridge runner's point the featherbrain link doesn't list the size of the chickens that is considering.

Back
Top Bottom