ventilation vs drafts **added pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by plc, Nov 9, 2011.

1. plc

plc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    How do I tell the difference between good ventilation & bad drafts?? I want my girls to be warm in winter, & stay healthy.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, First of all....Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, lots to cover without knowing the style roof you have on your coop, your location(climate), open coop or closed, etc... but simply put, ventilation is needed year round and is usually accomplished by having openings under roof overhang to let air in and other openings at highest point in coop(ridge) to let air, odor and moisture out. Placement of windows can also aid in proper ventilation. Drafts are unwanted openings allowing cold air forced by wind to penetrate the coop and directly impact the birds. This could include around doors, nest box openings thru wall, vents placed lower than where chickens roost, etc.. Lots to consider, but proper ventilation is a must to keep your chickens healthy. Hope this helps. Pictures of your coop would help. good luck,
    Erik

3. OC closet chicken fan

OC closet chicken fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    yeah what Erik said.... drafts can be minimized with vent placements but ventilation is a must

(ps. Erik, just peaked at your chicken setup...and WOW...mister and everything.... [​IMG] )

4. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    This is something I've wondered about too. I'm in So. Cal. so we occasionally have nights that dip below freezing, but not more than 10-15 times a winter and it's literally down to 30 or 32 degrees. With average winter lows in the mid 40s do I need to worry about closing up my windows in the winter? I know other chickens live in the snow, so it would be really important to keep them free from drafts in such cold temps, but what about here?

I don't want to highjack plc's thread, ([​IMG], by the way) but here's a pic of my set up.

[​IMG]

The henhouse is the upper left section. The only opening in the henhouse you can't see is the one for the ladder to go into the run. Currently that "door" is not covered at all. The run is secure, so we don't feel the need to close them into the henhouse at night. There are no windows on the back and the top is totally open with hardware cloth over it (and that raised roof panel to protect from rain).

5. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I think you're good to go, just make sure no prevailing wind can hit them directly from the open side. Maybe a tarp or plastic set up temporarily to block wind.
    Erik

6. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks, go back to page and click other page at top. New coop photos there. Came out awesome. Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by