ventilation vs. drafty

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by taprock, Nov 5, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard so much about the need for ventilation. I know I have that but I think it borders on drafty. This is a real newbie question but what is the difference? My coop is insulated but the entire ridge of the roof has a cap with openings (pole barn construction). Also there is a 2-3 inch opening along both eaves the full length of the coop. I was told this summer I have good ventilation, but now that it is 31 degrees and windy (Northern Michigan weather) I think it is drafty. I would like a good balance but I have never heard a concrete answer.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    When warmer, moist air can rise and exit the coop through openings high above the heads of roosting chickens, that's ventilation. When cold wind can blow from outside onto chickens as they're roosting, that's drafty.

Most (all?) openings in a coop at roost level are going to result in winter drafts. It's possible that vents high above roost level could let cold air blow onto the chickens as they roost in some coop configurations, but that's probably much less likely. I have a flap covering my high vent and I leave the flap partially closed to act as a wind baffle, just in case.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You might take a look at my ventilation page (link in .sig below) - I wrote it so I don't have to type it alllllll out every time someone asks about this so pardon me for not replying further here, but I think you'll find your question reasonably answered [​IMG]

If you shut the eaves openings along just the upwind side of the coop, that will stop it being drafty.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by