ventilation vs. insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rypie13, Jun 6, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    I live in utah where we do have pretty cold winters and regular snow. i have just finished my chicken coop and have insulated it. but in doing so i am beginning to worry about proper ventilation. right now the only ventilation is the main door. i do have a side door by the nesting boxes that i have thought i could build 2 doors for one with chicken wire and one insulated (for the winter). Any ideas or suggestions?

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I don't know if you would even like this but I live in texas and its HOT here! I burried an extension cord that goes to my small coop and mounted a little fan in the top corner. It helps them out alot!

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    after all that fine insulating you've done, i'd hate to say that i think you need to cut holes in your coop for vent installation on at least two walls, but i think that's what you have to do. depending on how big your coop is, you might also consider a functional cupola. what's the window situation like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by