Ventilation with the door of the coop closed

LOVEIGEE

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
As far as ventilation goes...Are two openings 8x8x8 triangle at the top of the coop large enough for ventilation with the door closed? It's getting down to 13 tonight, but I want to make sure there is enough ventilation. I can't get the picture to load of the coop.....Thank you...this is my first winter...but I'm more afraid of ventilation than temperature...

Your birds are all winter hardy and you should have adequate ventilation, so don't worry about them. They will be just fine. Chickens are much tougher than you give them credit for.

Chickens used to be raised in open air houses, which means that 2 whole sides of the coop were open to the elements and usually just covered in wire. That housing method is beginning to make a resurgence because chickens do much better overall when they have as much fresh air as they can get. (I contemplated doing that this year, but our winds don't come from just one direction, so I was afraid of opening up the coop one winter morning and finding 4 feet of snow inside it.) This method of housing chickens has been used in all climates with success throughout history. Chicken losses were reportedly less because there were fewer losses to respiratory illness and behavioral issues (cannibalism, picking), and there was no need for supplemental lighting in an open house to increase laying.

I hope this info sets your heart at ease. Good luck with your first winter.

Thank you so much CMV.......I guess everything is making me nervous as it's the first time I've had chickens......they are really fun....I love them!

Back
Top Bottom