1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    The plans I have call for 1 1/2" vent holes with hardware cloth over to prevent critters from getting the babies. I don't have a 1 1/2" drill bit. The biggest I have is 1/2". I was planning to increase the amount of vent holes to make up the difference. Do you think I still need to put hardware cloth over holes this size? Should I go down to a 3/8" inch bit? I want vent holes obviously but if I don't have to put hardware cloth over them I'd rather not.

Also my plans call for vent holes along the top of the peak, on the bottom of the nest boxes (which are located on the tallest wall), plus a chicken door across from the nest boxes. Do you think I should add more ventilation?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The plans I have call for 1 1/2" vent holes with hardware cloth over to prevent critters from getting the babies. I don't have a 1 1/2" drill bit. The biggest I have is 1/2". I was planning to increase the amount of vent holes to make up the difference.

I would very very seriously suggest redesigning the ventilation.

You will get very little air movement through 1.5" holes, and next to none through 1/2" holes.

What you need is larger openings. Like their diameter measured in inches times feet, you know? (Screened w/hardware cloth, and with flaps or sliders or whatever to close them off when desired).

Also my plans call for vent holes along the top of the peak, on the bottom of the nest boxes (which are located on the tallest wall), plus a chicken door across from the nest boxes. Do you think I should add more ventilation?

I would suggest aiming for something in the vicinity of 1 sq ft per chicken (could go a bit less if this is a tractor or reach-in type coop). Which almost certainly means more. All of it in the form of decent size openings, not anything made with a drill. (The chicken door does not count as ventilation btw unless you will never be shutting them in at night - and it is by far wisest to shut them in at night).

I'm not sure what climate you're in, btw, but be careful about vents below the nest boxes. In a cold climate you'll have to keep them closed most of the time; in a windy area you'll have to keep them closed most of the time; and in a hot climate they'll be woefully insufficient (for a hot climate, you kinda need a large expanse of wall that opens up to hardwarecloth or suchlike)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    patandchickens approved

[​IMG]

4. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I did forget to mention that there was a window on the tallest side... in feet. Sorry. It is one of those that can have the bottom lifted so it can be open even in rain. I've thought about adding additional windows on the door and also on the chicken door side. I guess I worry that they'll have too much air come winter. The one on the door would be entirely drop down with wire over it and the chicken door side window would be along the lines of what you've shown. The current window is like the ones in the pic. The coop is VERY small 3 feet by 3 feet interior.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    you could get a hole saw for the drill but those little vents aren't much good unless you have a bunch of them. if you could substitute a foundation vent you would be able to cut the square hole with a jig saw or circular saw.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well, if you have it open now and it's still humid inside the shed, that's a clue you still need more ventilation [​IMG]

I've thought about adding additional windows on the door and also on the chicken door side. I guess I worry that they'll have too much air come winter.

No such thing as too much ventilation, it just needs to be shut-down-able. Really [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

7. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate your opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by