Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amyc, Apr 27, 2009.

1. amyc

amyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    My coop officially begins construction this week (hopefully Wednesday if it would stop raining in WI!). But now I'm worried about ventilation.

I found four vents that I found hiding in my basement that are approx 9" X 9" square. I was going to put one on each of my four walls. The coop is going to be an 8' X 8' and will hold 20 birds. Is this going to be enough ventilation - or should I cut some vent holes near the ceiling too?

I probably worry too much - but I'd rather build it right the first time (correction - I'd rather have my brother in law build it right the first time!)

2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Doesn't really sound like enough for 20 birds. Check out Pat's ventilation page. I think she has all the bases covered.

3. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    Building my coop I put in four vents 6"x12". My coop is 4'x8', I put two in each corner in the back bottom and two in each corner as high as I could put them, short of cutting them into the roof.

Cool air will enter in the low vents and since heat rises it will exit the high top vents. I am going to be housing eight hens in my coop. The temp. here in New England can get up to the high 90's with extreme humidity. I am satisfied that will be fine for ventilation. They will be outside during the day and in the coop during the evening, besides if they need more fresh air than they are getting in the coop I figure than can chill out in there enclosed run. During the winter I will be fabricating closures for the vents to keep the near zero temps. out!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    IMHO, no, it is unlikely to be enough ventilation for 20 birds in a 64 sq ft coop (which is a bit on the crowded side anyhow, especially for somewhere with nasty winters like Wisconsin).

I'd suggest something like two or three 1x2' vents at the tops of three or all four of the walls. Or any other equivalent-size arrangement. With flaps or whatever to close them down however much you need according to the day's weather, and probably weatherstripping.

If you also (presumably) have several large openable (but predator-screened) windows for summer use, this should do you ok for the summertime too.

AndyL, remember that you will need your vents open in the wintertime too. Not the low ones (which you may find need to be closed on windy days during the summer, too, as they can blow bedding around) but the high ones for sure. And if you don't mind my saying so, now might be a good time to cut more vents (high on the wall, coverable, for winter) because just 1 sq ft of vent for 8 chickens is probably not going to be enough for you.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. amyc

amyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Jefferson, Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]:barnie

OMG - I just realized that I did the math wrong!!!! For some reason I thought I had 96 sq feet. I am such a moron!!

(The worst part of this is I do the accounting at work - don't tell my bosses).

Looks like I'm going to Menards tomorrow to buy more supplies to build a bigger coop.

AARGH!!!

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    considering you're still in the planning stage how about a ridge vent ? they're pretty easy to configure or you could build a cupola. check out the automatic foundation vents for the bottom. they close at apx forty degrees and are screened.

7. AndyL

AndyL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    CT
    Thanks for the extra advice on extra ventilation Pat, I will add in more vents higher up. I do plan on covering them up in the winter, but I will leave some open to give them fresh air too. I want to make sure my new girls are comfortable in there new home and get what they need! [​IMG]

Andy

Last edited: May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by