Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrianT, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I'm close to finishing up new house for the hens. Will a 6" tall opening all the way around be the cause of too much updraft during the winter? The length all the way around 24'. Basixally 6"x8' (front and rear) and 6"x4' (sides). The only other opening is the front door that is roughly 12"x12" in the center of front wall.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
  3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I see you are in Florida. Cut more holes...... lots more holes. I am in Florida, too, but further south. My coop barely has walls - it's more of a giant bird cage with a half-wall around the roosting area. They love it, and I didn't have any trouble with the heat this summer.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, more holes in hot weather, though it will be fine as it is for the winter. When it gets hot again you'll be out installing hardware cloth where a lot of your walls are, especially if it isn't shaded. I live about 50 miles north of Fla, much the same weather as you. I just covered some of my hardware cloth side with plastic, on the windward side.

There really won't be that much updraft unless there is a lower opening on the windward side. And no, I don't think you have too much ventilation, it sounds about right. Just check whether it seems to be drafty on the roost.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am in North Florida and built a coop this summer that was all hardware cloth. I later added an addition that has one full solid wall behind the roost area and I three foot wall to the north side. I put plastic on all but the front side to cut drafts. It is going to be close to freezing tonight and I guess I wil see how they do.
    sharon

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Quote:That sounds very similar to mine - I forgot to mention when I first posted that I have vinyl sheets I put up on the sides if it is really rainy or cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by