Ventilation

BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
I'm close to finishing up new house for the hens. Will a 6" tall opening all the way around be the cause of too much updraft during the winter? The length all the way around 24'. Basixally 6"x8' (front and rear) and 6"x4' (sides). The only other opening is the front door that is roughly 12"x12" in the center of front wall.

Last edited:
I see you are in Florida. Cut more holes...... lots more holes. I am in Florida, too, but further south. My coop barely has walls - it's more of a giant bird cage with a half-wall around the roosting area. They love it, and I didn't have any trouble with the heat this summer.

I agree, more holes in hot weather, though it will be fine as it is for the winter. When it gets hot again you'll be out installing hardware cloth where a lot of your walls are, especially if it isn't shaded. I live about 50 miles north of Fla, much the same weather as you. I just covered some of my hardware cloth side with plastic, on the windward side.

There really won't be that much updraft unless there is a lower opening on the windward side. And no, I don't think you have too much ventilation, it sounds about right. Just check whether it seems to be drafty on the roost.

I am in North Florida and built a coop this summer that was all hardware cloth. I later added an addition that has one full solid wall behind the roost area and I three foot wall to the north side. I put plastic on all but the front side to cut drafts. It is going to be close to freezing tonight and I guess I wil see how they do.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom