1. Jerschicks

Jerschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    North Pole, Alaska
    Hi all, I am building a coop this spring. It is one i saw on the coop page only modified a little to help with the cold. (currently -35). I didn't plan on heating, only using deep litter method. The size of the coop i plan on building is 8X12, total with the hen area of 8X8. i am going to have 2x6 walls and floor with a 2x8 roof. insulation will be fiberglass batts with 1" foam on the inside and outside (covered of course). The outside will be finished with T1-11 and the inside with paneling. I am planning on having between 20-30 girls, mostly Buff orps. Anyway my question is if I use a 2" continuous soffit vent along the ridge with a full length ridge vent, will it be enough to keep the moisture down due to the DLM and hens, or should I incorporate gable vents as well?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would greatly recommend adding on, so you have something like what I have. [​IMG]

The silly chickens don't like going out in the snow, and they hate it when the wind blows hard.

The point is, you need to be creative as to how to force them to get outside in the winter, or give them enough sheltered area, or they will start to eat each other.

If you put the chicken house close to a thick spruce clump, they might go out in that all winter.

Or, use this as a good excuse to also build a great big greenhouse, and then they get the greenhouse in the winter.

I also really like my insulated coop opening up onto my uninsulated shed, since that way I can vent my coop to my shed.

I don't get cold like you do, but I have a bunch of wind, and lots of humidity.

here is my coop page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by