1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ventilation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdgirl408, Jan 15, 2015.

1. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I am now very confused. [​IMG] I read a good article (in Backyard Chickens) about bedding and ventilation. I have a small wooden coop at present with just two Buff Orpingtons . I bought the coop on-line, it was recommended for 3 - 4 chickens. There is no ventilation as such just the tiny seams from round how the coop is made. Does it need more ventilation? I notice there is some black along the top of the nest box which is caused by damp and will eventually cause a mould. Do I make some vent holes somewhere in there? I am frightened of causing drafts. Temperatures here where I live in the UK have not reached below freezing (yet). Any recommendations from you more experienced BYC keepers would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    It is confusing, isn't it? Yes, the chickens will be better off if you add some kind of ventilation at the top edge. Pick a spot where a breeze won't blow directly across them when they're roosting.

3. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    Thank you so much HighStreetCoop, will try and do this.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    If you post pics over the coop section of the forum I'm sure people will have helpful ideas/advice.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Start with this link on ventilation.

Hope it helps.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The black probably is mold or mildew.

Those small prefab coops are notoriously leaky and hard to ventilate without drafting because they are so small.

Good advice given to post pic of coop in coops forum and read the ventilation article posted.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I found this so confusing, because the advice is often given as, have good ventilation and don't have drafts which seems contradictory.

Add to that, and inexperienced people want to keep their birds warm, cause warmer is better for people.

Instead, think let the moisture OUT, keep the coop dry. Dry and COLD is better than warm and damp. Your birds need to have space above them, and be kept away from the wall. That is where water condenses, that is where they get damp. Think of 5 people in a car, in the winter, the moisture build up almost immediately. Opening a window, immediately gets rid of that moisture.

If the roof is slanted, put some holes along the top edge. Art is right, send some pictures.

Mrs K

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Don’t think of keeping the coop warm, think of keeping the chickens warm. That is two totally separate things. Chickens can handle the cold. Their feathers trap tiny pockets of air that their body heat warms up and keeps them well insulated. If a breeze ruffles their feathers and releases that air then they can get cold. A gentle draft won’t ruffle their feathers enough to cause any problems. To keep chicken warm, don’t allow a breeze to ruffle their feathers. They can handle the rest themselves.

I agree. That probably is mold from moisture. I’d suggest some sterilizing as well as venting.

To get rid of the excess moisture from their breathing and their poop put some holes above where they sleep on the roosts. It’s OK if a breeze passes over their heads as long as it doesn’t hit them directly.

If you don’t have overhead room to do this you still have some possibilities. A roof vent will move a lot of air, especially if you have a small hole lower down. Don’t have the roost in a line between that opening and the roof vent.

Another method that is a bit more tricky is to just have one opening on the side away from the roosts, even if it is as low as the roosts. It especially helps if this opening is on the downwind side. The idea is to create a cul-de-sac in the coop to keep the worst of the wind off the chickens yet still allow for air exchange.

I’ve seen chicken sleep in trees in below zero Fahrenheit (-18 C) without problems. They were in a thicket in a protected valley so they were not really in strong breezes. They really can handle cold well.

9. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    Thank you so much for all this information. [​IMG] I have managed to ventilate the coop quite easily actually. The lift up side of the roof is now permanently lifted up, leaving a 1cm 'vent' all along the roof top, front to back, away from the roost. I have done this just by putting a nail on top, either side so the roof sits on them and doesn't close properly. (If you know what I mean!!) I haven't yet tried to upload pictures, but will have a look see how to do this another time (hopefully later today). It is a good idea to have this ventilation in the summer also as it must get hot in there. My coop is sheltered in a run, so rain doesn't get in anywhere and the roost section is always dry and clean. [​IMG]

10. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    That link you sent RonP was very useful indeed. I think I need to increase the ventilation now!!! Thank you so much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by