Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lereg15, Mar 14, 2015.

1. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I trying to figure out how I plan on building my coop, and think I'm going to do it with pallets. The coop will be under my sun room, on the porch, so I can use the existing walls and the railing as well. When I stack the pallets up on the two open sides, I have about a 14-18" gap around the top of the coop. To make it more aesthetically pleasing on the outside, I plan on using my left over siding that was put on my house.

My question is, could I just mesh over the gap on the top and use that as a source of ventilation? Have checked out quiet a few designs on here, but haven't seen this done yet, for whatever reason. I will make it to where I can close it up in the winter months, but while it's nice out I was thinking it would be an option. Any ideas?

2. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Yes, just use hardwire cloth (preferred) or chicken wire on those areas so they stay open for ventilation

3. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Nice, but why doesn't anybody else seem to do that? I have chicken wire, but heard from others the predators may be able to get in it, so I plan on getting hard wire with about 1/2 mesh for it. I plan on having about 4 smaller windows in it as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by