1. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    Winter has arrived here in New Hampshire, at least temporarily as we got 14" of snow over the weekend. My question concerns venting my new coop, I have insulated it, do not plan on heating it, but have read various opinions on venting it in winter, both on this forum and elsewhere. Wondering what other people do and why? Thanks.

http://ridgewoodchickens.blogspot.com/

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The venting is best situated at the top of the coop, by the eaves, so there is no draft for the chickens. It helps let out the moisture from their breathing, and that way it doesn't get damp in the coop. Both of my coops are vented that way. One looks like a red barn and the other is an A-frame, so it's vented at the peak of the A. (If you can picture that.)

Sharon

3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Mine is similar to that, I have a steeple kind of roof on mine, and 1 side is not enclosed so it vents plenty but keeps the chickens out of the direct wind when it gets real cold. And I have 1 open window on the other side. Well not open but covered with chicken wire. Good luck!

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Mine are also vented along the eaves.

[​IMG]

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    Here is a picture of my coop taken this weekend - probably should vent at highest point on each end based on the comments here.

[​IMG]

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG] Wow, you guys are starting winter off with a bang. I know it is crazy but my husband was jealous of the snow! He loves the stuff. We only get snow like that every once in a while. Good luck on the venting. I have my eaves open, and we haven't decided what we are doing with it, may give it a go for ventilation as is, with plans to block them up if it is too drafty. Our coop is same roof slant design. We have chicken wire over the eaves to prevent chicken escape or hawk entrance. Nothing can scale the building, so they are safe that way. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by