Venting my frustration!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainlips, Oct 31, 2013.

1. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    We started this chicken adventure about 2 months ago. We started off with 5 spring hatched hens that hadn't started laying. About 2 weeks after that we had a friend give us 5 more hens and 2 Roos, the hens where laying. We also has 1 drake and his gf... I know that the move and meeting new friends will slow or even stop egg laying so I wasn't to surprised not getting any. About 2 weeks ago out drake decided that he wanted to get after my hens, well I figured he was causing lots of stress so he bece dinner. Still no eggs. I have checked all of them for bugs, none. Made sure they have a dust bathing area (which they won't use) have fresh new bedding in all boxes, made sure the feed was good, they also are getting 12-13 hours of light. Still, notta! These girls are going to drive me crazy! Lol ok... Vent over! :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What are you feeding? How old are the new chickens? What date in spring did the young pullets hatch?

3. rainlips

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    It's a laying feed, with special treats every couple days... (Oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and raisins.) I'm not totally sure when they where hatched, she just said she got them in the spring from tractor supply

4. rainlips

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    I just found out that my first of hens are almost 10 months old and still no eggs! I'm gonna start crying soon! [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't want to sound alarmist but take them off the layer feed and try to flush their kidneys.
    They've been on layer how long? They've been getting 4% calcium when they only needed 1% since they weren't making egg shells.
    Try to find a low protein finisher feed - about 15% protein and give lots of fruits and low calcium veggies. Mix their feed with water so they get fluids even when they eat. Make sure they have access to fresh clean water all day.
    bananas, celery, cucumbers, legumes and seeds, papaya, parsley, pumpkin, sprouts, watercress, watermelon

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    And please get that drake away from the poor hens! They aren't anatomically built to accommodate his "action" and risk severe injury!

7. rainlips

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan
    The drake has been gone for a week now... That was my first move! I was hopping that the laying feed would kick start them but I will take them off it.... I didn't realize it was bad if they weren't laying!!! I feel like a bad momma!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by