Venting -- Postal Service lost my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morrigan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Morrigan

Morrigan Crowing

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    I feel so sad and angry, I needed to vent somewhere

My order of 7 chicks from MPC has gone missing. As of yesterday morning, they were at distribution center just a couple of hours away from my house. I was so excited, I thought I'd have them yesterday. But they never came. My local post master (who is great) is trying his best to track them down, but all he can tell me is that they are either stuck in that same warehouse -- and no there will answer the phone -- or they were mis-delivered somewhere with no record being kept. I told the post office that I am willing to drive to go get them, because the warehouse only makes one delivery to our areas each day -- at 7 a.m. -- and I fear tomorrow will be too late. I'm so upset to think of these fragile little birds sitting in a warehouse. I regret ordering chicks now. I feel like I am causing them to suffer and perhaps die.

How can someone get a box marked "live animals" and just toss it aside and not take care to see it delivered properly?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Enlightened Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Shoot girlfriend...I hope they show up in a few minutes.
    :fl

Maybe the 7am delivery truck driver is just running late today and he has them in his truck?

3. Morrigan

Morrigan Crowing

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    Thanks. I wish that were the case, but the truck already made it's delivery to my local P.O. and the chicks weren't on it. :hit

My post master has left message with everyone he can think of at the distribution center. Apparently it's unmanned during the day. The night crew gets in around 3 p.m. I'm hoping someone can find the chicks then, verify that they are still alive, and I can go get them.

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Enlightened Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :fl:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

5. Morrigan

Morrigan Crowing

Apr 9, 2014
    California
    The Post Master finally got a hold of the distribution center. They claim the chicks are no longer there and were "sent out" this morning. Since they never arrived at the post office, nor were they scanned in by any other post office along the delivery route, either the postal distribution center is lying, or the chicks were stolen, or they dropped them off someplace where no was there to receive them. I very much hope for the chicks sake they were stolen. What is the point of having a tracking number at all, when all they can do is say "hey, they aren't here anymore."

So, so frustrated.

6. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I am so sorry and am praying for you and the chicks!:hit

7. Stepnout

Stepnout Songster

May 6, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    So sad

8. MROO

MROO Crowing

That tracking number is your key ... Back-tracking to the last place that checked them in and the first place that didn't should tell the service where things went wrong and who to go after. My guess is that someone claiming to be a Good Samaritan "rescued" those "poor babies" and took them home while an employee(s) looked the other way. Either that or someone seriously messed up and then conveniently lost the evidence. Either way, someone knows what happened and needs to be found out!
    Be a stinker ... and raise a stink! After all, that's why they have that tracking number in the first place. It's not for figuring out when things disappear. It's for figuring out where they went, why and who is responsible when things like this go wrong!

9. NoFlyBackFarm

NoFlyBackFarm Chirping

Aug 6, 2018
    Oh no I'll be praying! I would not order chicks through whoever it was again it seems dangerous to their livlyhood

10. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: